Paints

  • Lerxst of Chaos
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2003
      What type of acrylic paints does everyone use. I've heard some brands and types work better than others.   I have a project I'm about to start working on that I'm am going to have a friend paint flames on.  It is going to be the chest piece and pauldrons for some renissance armor. Although it is not going to be used in combat I do want it to hold up and not have the paint crack or flake off (I've heard reports of this happing).

      Lerxst
      Chaos
      Legion of the Skull
      Vapor the Green Dragon
      Sgt. of the Dragon Pride
      Cabin Boy of the Dark Scorpion
      Booser
      Trash Tribe
      http://www.pbase.com/lerxst
      "Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
        At 10:54 PM 2/9/2003 -0600, Lerxst wrote:
        What type of acrylic paints does everyone use. I've heard some brands and types work better than others.   I have a project I'm about to start working on that I'm am going to have a friend paint flames on.  It is going to be the chest piece and pauldrons for some renissance armor. Although it is not going to be used in combat I do want it to hold up and not have the paint crack or flake off (I've heard reports of this happing).

        I've had great success with the Folk Arts brand.  You can get colors that are closer to the historical palette, and so far they have held up well under the abuse of our local subtropical weather.  I've tried the oil and egg temperas.  While authentic, they take forever to cure in this climate, and don't stand up to being handled and transported in 90%+ humidity and brutal amounts of sunlight.

      • Adam Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2003
          I'll vouch for the Folk Arts brand as well, although I find it a bit thick straight out of the bottle. Dries fast and flexible. I used the "wought-iron" colour touched up with a bit of silver Rub-n-Buff to do a wonderful simulated old-steel finish on a piece.

          cheers,
          Adam

        • oahumike@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
            Quite a while back when we discussed this, milk paint came up.  Here is the link that was provided at the time.  According to the site there is quite a provenance for the historical accuracy of its use.    http://www.milkpaint.com/

            Mike