Re: [medieval-leather] a question

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2003
      Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

      > I would suggest drilling the rivets out of the binder and making
      > a new cover out of leather. Then you can tool the thing and make it all
      > pretty.
      >
      > Finnr

      That's certainly one way to do it, and quite doable, but I think it might be
      a little complex for a new leatherworker. I'd suggest something simple- that
      way, she can discover the pleasure of working with the material, before she
      discovers all the different ways she didn't know she knew, to cuss ;-)

      Phlip

      cat.

      Never a horse that cain't be rode,
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
        > What I would
        >like to do is to make a leather cover over a plastic 3 ring binder.

        I did one of these, so long ago that I can't remember how I did it. I
        *think* that instead of covering an existing binder, I made the cover and
        installed the metal 3-ring part with Chicago rivets.

        I'm pretty sure I used a medium-weight tooling leather, probably 6-7 ounce;
        lined with some thin black garment leather, with a stiff piece of cardboard
        sandwiched between. Actually, two pieces of cardboard: one for the front
        and one for the back, none along the spine - the metal 3-ring stiffens that.

        This has held up very well over years of use.

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works
        Furniture and Accessories
        For the Medievalist!
        www.albionworks.net
      • Scott Szakonyi
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003

          I tend to use 3/4 oz. leather for these sorts of applications... just thick enough to tool.  I make them so a commercial binder slips into the pockets on each side... think of a very large checkbook cover.

          If there's anything else I can assist with, let me know.

          Scott

           Tim Bray <tbray@...> wrote:

          >  What I would
          >like to do is to make a leather cover over a plastic 3 ring binder.

          I did one of these, so long ago that I can't remember how I did it.  I
          *think* that instead of covering an existing binder, I made the cover and
          installed the metal 3-ring part with Chicago rivets.

          I'm pretty sure I used a medium-weight tooling leather, probably 6-7 ounce;
          lined with some thin black garment leather, with a stiff piece of cardboard
          sandwiched between.  Actually, two pieces of cardboard: one for the front
          and one for the back, none along the spine - the metal 3-ring stiffens that.

          This has held up very well over years of use.

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works
          Furniture and Accessories
          For the Medievalist!
          www.albionworks.net

          The Viking Trader -- Handmade Leather Goods and Other Items
          http://www.thevikingtrader.net
          email: thorsman99@...

          Do you Yahoo!?