Italian Saddle Knife / Leather Guns

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2002
      http://www.madeinfirenze.it/eng/Articoli.asp?ID=1054&Variante=1330

      In olive wood or ox horn from Italy.
      For you just-gotta-be-different types out there.
      I don't know of a medieval illustration or surviving
      knife of this particular pattern. Looks nifty though.
      ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
      Incidentally, History Scotland archaeology - heritage
      Volume 2 No. 6, Nov/Dec 2002 $7.50 U.S. has an article on
      Scotland's Leather Guns this month.
      http://www.historyscotland.com
      ISSN 1475-5270

      "What were Leather Guns?
      ....Leather guns did have metal barrels, but they were
      covered in leather....These strange guns were created in
      an attempt to manufacture small calibre artillery pieces
      that were lighter than their predecessors, and interest
      in them was strongest in the 1620's."
      Pages 11-18 with many excellent photographs and illustrations.
      Examples cited from Scotland, Italy, and Sweden.
      A very good article.

      I think I mentioned once before on this list that leather
      artillery pieces are known mostly in Colonial contexts.
      Roundshot and Rammers is one book I have that deals with
      them.

      M. Magnus, OL, Atlantia, GDH
      Do not repost to newsgroups.
      Your local insane gunpowder plottist elist is fine.
    • Adam Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2002
        Aaaaaaah, ya swine! ;-) Gods, that's a nice looking knife. I reeeeelly liked the folding skinners from the same website too. Pricey though...

        !#$*?!

         ;-)
        Adam

        Sword in the Stone Crafts -- handcrafted leather costumes, accessories and props
        http://home.ica.net/~spike/sword/film/index.html