Re: Soaking Bone to Carve It

  • Corwyn and Carowyn
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
      Greetings!

      >> Hmmm....we were just talking about this on the dye list, so now I'm
      >> curious: was it the hot water, or was it the iron in the water?

      > Well, the bucket itself was plastic, and if I recall, the
      >water was pretty fresh-I had just dumped it and refilled it, so there
      >shouldn't have been much iron in it.

      Oh, okay - I got the impression that you had been using the bucket as a
      quencher, and decided to try an experiment. Sorry for the conclusion I
      jumped to. I'd still like to try it, though, see how easy to carve bone
      that's been dumped in a used quenching bucket and a bucket of hot water
      without the metal "impurities".....

      -Caro

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
    • jamesahowell@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        Well, I had, but the water had gotten really low and nasty, so I
        dumped it and refilled it with fresh. But by all means try it and see if
        it has any effect. I just didn't want to give you the wrong impression
        of what I was doing and the underlying circumstances......

        Regards, Finnr

        > Oh, okay - I got the impression that you had been using the bucket
        > as a quencher, and decided to try an experiment. Sorry for the
        > conclusion I
        > jumped to. I'd still like to try it, though, see how easy to carve
        > bone
        > that's been dumped in a used quenching bucket and a bucket of hot
        > water
        > without the metal "impurities".....
        >
        > -Caro

      • Jonathan T Getty
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
          I missed the beginning of this discussion, but a couple months ago, I
          attended a class on bone carving (by Mistress Gunnora from Texas), where
          she advocated storing horn and bone underwater, then boiling for two hours
          the morning you intend to carve it.

          I haven't tried this yet, but she swears it makes carving muuuch easier.

          Jon
          _____
          Jonathan Getty... beans@...... //engr.ucsb.edu/~beans
          ECE Dept... UCSB... Santa Barbara, CA 93106... 805.893.8465
          7340A Lowell Way... Goleta, CA 93117... 805.571.6264

          "He that would catch fish must venture his bait." -- Ben Franklin

          On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 jamesahowell@... wrote:

          > Well, I had, but the water had gotten really low and nasty, so I
          > dumped it and refilled it with fresh. But by all means try it and see if
          > it has any effect. I just didn't want to give you the wrong impression
          > of what I was doing and the underlying circumstances......
          >
          > Regards, Finnr
          >

          > > Oh, okay - I got the impression that you had been using the bucket
          > > as a quencher, and decided to try an experiment. Sorry for the
          > > conclusion I
          > > jumped to. I'd still like to try it, though, see how easy to carve
          > > bone
          > > that's been dumped in a used quenching bucket and a bucket of hot
          > > water
          > > without the metal "impurities".....
          > >
          > > -Caro

        • Frojel Gotlandica
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2002
            The only problem is that it turns the bone into "Cooked Bone" in actual fact 10 to15 minutes in hot water is
            quite sufficient for a bone that has been soaking for about 24 hours, carve while wet and if it dries out too
            much then dip again.
            Definitely store it in water when not carving or leaving it for a while but change the water every few days
            unless you want to attract crows and vultures.
            Personally I prefer to dry it out then drop it in hot water again when I go back to it but either will work, the
            main reason for drying a work in progress is to avoid the minor feathering along the edge of the carving in
            the areas where you go across the grain. Of course you can avoid that by sanding and polishing the carved
            edge.

            Sandy

            >I missed the beginning of this discussion, but a couple months ago, I
            >attended a class on bone carving (by Mistress Gunnora from Texas), where
            >she advocated storing horn and bone underwater, then boiling for two hours
            >the morning you intend to carve it.
            >I haven't tried this yet, but she swears it makes carving muuuch easier.
            >Jon

            Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
            http://www.frojel.com/
            frojel@...