Re: [medieval-leather] Suggestion needed....

  • Jonathan Hershey
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
      If this poor guy is still dyed, I have removed a number of substances
      from my hands using baby oil and salt - I just pour some of each in my
      hands and scrub them hard -- there doesn't seem to be a specific ratio of
      either. I then wash with soap and water. This has worked when commercial
      mechanics hand cleaners have not.
      Jon

      > > Folks, I need your help.
      >
      > I have a friend who manages to creatively do himself in on a regular
      > basis, and he's done it again. He has managed to get the better part
      > of a bottle of leather dye all over his hands, and he's due to be
      > Laurelled in about a week and a half. Gloves won't do, and painting
      > the rest of himself green likely won't help either. Anybody got any
      > good ideas for removing leather dye (not sure whether it's oil or
      > spirit base) from one's anatomy- preferably while leaving the skin on?
      >
      > Considering this guy's proclivities (stabbed himself in the nose with
      > a needle, tried to castrate himself sewing together a tent, among
      > other things) do we have any suggestions for reasonably non-toxic,
      > non-flammable dye removal? I suggested cold cream, but as I said, I'm
      > not quite sure what type of dye he decorated himself with.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Phlip

      1
    • rmhowe
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 12, 2002
        Jonathan Hershey wrote:

        > If this poor guy is still dyed, I have removed a number of substances
        > from my hands using baby oil and salt - I just pour some of each in my
        > hands and scrub them hard -- there doesn't seem to be a specific ratio of
        > either. I then wash with soap and water. This has worked when commercial
        > mechanics hand cleaners have not.
        > Jon

        Generally, I use Gojo with pumice and the little surgeon's scrub
        brush that comes on the side of the bottle it comes in.

        Prior to, or after that I may use lacquer thinner. I'm an old
        cabinetmaker and there is very little it won't remove to some
        degree. One step up would be acetone. The problem with these
        solvents is they also take all the oil out of your hands.
        The hardest places I've found to get stain/dye out of is
        of course the areas on every side of the nails.

        There are some hand cremes that you can put on prior to working
        with some things like old car grease. (Whenever I want to apply
        a really aged look to something I've found oily road soot on
        an engine to be ideal). These cremes form a barrier in the skin
        pores before the mess gets in. Thankfully I am not a mechanic,
        nor do my hands have those really deep cracks with black in
        them. I have some downstairs I bought at Northern Tools, just
        haven't had a suitable opportunity to use it. I seem to recall
        an Ann Landers column that suggested hand creme as a preventative
        to an embarassed woman to suggest to her suitor/husband.

        My most recent horrible attack had to do with some Max Black
        or Black Max metal blackener used on some etched silver.
        You then sand off/buff the high spots carefully. That particular
        little joy juice left areas of both hands medium s**t brown for
        a week. I'm pretty sure riogrande.com sells it. I was using it
        in conjunction with a photographic/asphaltum etching class at the
        time. After it dried I sanded it off on the high spots, somehow
        that transferred the stuff to my hands and it reacted of course.

        This may have been someway chemically similar to the Yankee spy
        who used silver nitrate to infiltrate Confederate fortifications
        as a negro laborer during our Civil War. Didn't fool the blacks
        reportedly but nobody talked either. Touched it up repeatedly
        with applications from a silver nitrate bottle. I don't think
        his entire hide was covered but one might wonder how he handled
        the call of nature. Or he carried a pair of long-handled mirrors
        and a very large bent dauber.

        You could also try a counter dye I suppose for a more attractive
        color. Walnut or oak and possibly ash contain tannic acid. Handling
        that enough over part of a day will turn your hands light purple for
        about three days or so. How that would overlay brown I have no idea.

        Magnus Maximus

        > > > Folks, I need your help.
        > >
        > > I have a friend who manages to creatively do himself in on a regular
        > > basis, and he's done it again. He has managed to get the better part
        > > of a bottle of leather dye all over his hands, and he's due to be
        > > Laurelled in about a week and a half. Gloves won't do, and painting
        > > the rest of himself green likely won't help either. Anybody got any
        > > good ideas for removing leather dye (not sure whether it's oil or
        > > spirit base) from one's anatomy- preferably while leaving the skin on?
        > >
        > > Considering this guy's proclivities (stabbed himself in the nose with
        > > a needle, tried to castrate himself sewing together a tent, among
        > > other things) do we have any suggestions for reasonably non-toxic,
        > > non-flammable dye removal? I suggested cold cream, but as I said, I'm
        > > not quite sure what type of dye he decorated himself with.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Phlip
      • cptkay2001
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 12, 2002
          Overdye with blue and call it woad?
          suggest he wear latex gloves next time, or just go with the flow, it
          illustrates HE is indeed the laurel (good color choice) and that
          he does do hos own work!
        • Alan Andrist
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 12, 2002
            I suppose you are right that it shows he does his own work. I remember Tandy
            used to sell hides with lots of scars and great ugly brands on them. When I
            asked why the price was the same as the clean leather, the store manager
            told me, "Those marks are your guarantee of genuine leather." To date I've
            not found a use ugly brands or accidentally leather-dyed hands. Acetone
            works about a well as anything, then put hand cream on ASAP.

            This thread seems to bring up a common experience for most of us. By the
            way, does the gentleman with the odd skin tone still need our advise?

            Alan Andrist.

            suggest he wear latex gloves next time, or just go with the flow, it
            illustrates HE is indeed the laurel (good color choice) and that
            he does do hos own work!

          • Phlip
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 12, 2002
              Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

              > I suppose you are right that it shows he does his own work. I remember
              Tandy
              > used to sell hides with lots of scars and great ugly brands on them. When
              > asked why the price was the same as the clean leather, the store manager
              > told me, "Those marks are your guarantee of genuine leather." To date I've
              > not found a use ugly brands or accidentally leather-dyed hands. Acetone
              > works about a well as anything, then put hand cream on ASAP.
              >
              > This thread seems to bring up a common experience for most of us. By the
              > way, does the gentleman with the odd skin tone still need

              No, he got safely Laurelled last weekend, and the dye that was left in the
              cuticles after he tried various solutions exfoliated out. He's not really a
              leatherworker, he was just )just!) making apprentice belts for his imminent
              dependents, so I suspect he panicked- most of the rest of us with any
              experience would just say a choice word or two, sigh, clean up as we could,
              and not worry about it wearing off.

              He got through with only two minor disasters- one, he left the banner home
              that his Lady had been working her finger to the bones hand embroidering
              ;-O, and the other he hasn't 'fessed up to- I'm sure we'll hear about it
              sooner or later.

              Meantime, I've been stashing all the information for my files- I've enjoyed
              hearing different solutions, for future reference ;-)
              Phlip

              cat.

              Never a horse that cain't be rode,