Re: [medieval-leather] sheaths for wool combs

  • jamesahowell@juno.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
              They are definitely nothing to fool around with, but it is a problem easily dealt with.  Good luck!
                                                                                Regards. Finnr

      Thanks.  I really worry about them, even at home.  My granddaughter is 15 mos & these are lethal.  I'll be making sheaths this week.  Gwen

    • Corwyn and Carowyn
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2002
        Greetings!

        >Greetings, all. I would like to make sheaths for my wool combs ...
        >Does anyone have pics or patterns for them?

        Okay, let's see if I can verbally do this....

        1) Take your combs and lay then in such a way that the one comb overlaps
        the other, like they were spoons that don't quite nest properly. That
        way, the tines follow the same curve. (I tried putting the combs
        back-to-back, and that just didn't work.)

        2) Take a piece of leather or heavy cloth and wrap it around the area
        where the tines overlap. I ignored the part at the top where the tines
        of one comb passed in front of the second handle; that area's not very
        dangerous.

        3) Sew or awl punch & whip stitch (or whatever else fastens) the leather
        (or cloth) together. Leave some extra room for the combs (if it's too
        tight the combs won't slip into the sheath properly).

        4) Take a leather thong. Wrap one end around the handles twice, then
        lengthwise down the sheath, and back around the handles again. Knot the
        ends together, and it's a sheath!

        It's *much* easier to see in person - Gwen, where are you? I'm in Silver
        Rylle, East Kingdom (near Hershey PA - think chocolate! ;-), and I
        copied the design from a shire member. I could take pics, but to post
        them to the web would take a bleeping long time (don't have the equipment
        here, and our shire's website is in the process of moving...egad). I
        could mail them to someone who could post them, or directly to you, if
        you wish.

        -Caro

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • Corwyn and Carowyn
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2002
          Greetings!

          >Greetings, all. I would like to make sheaths for my wool combs ...
          >Does anyone have pics or patterns for them?

          Okay, let's see if I can verbally do this....

          1) Take your combs and lay then in such a way that the one comb overlaps
          the other, like they were spoons that don't quite nest properly. That
          way, the tines follow the same curve. (I tried putting the combs
          back-to-back, and that just didn't work.)

          2) Take a piece of leather or heavy cloth and wrap it around the area
          where the tines overlap. I ignored the part at the top where the tines
          of one comb passed in front of the second handle; that area's not very
          dangerous.

          3) Sew or awl punch & whip stitch (or whatever else fastens) the leather
          (or cloth) together. Leave some extra room for the combs (if it's too
          tight the combs won't slip into the sheath properly).

          4) Take a leather thong. Wrap one end around the handles twice, then
          lengthwise down the sheath, and back around the handles again. Knot the
          ends together, and it's a sheath!

          It's *much* easier to see in person - Gwen, where are you? I'm in Silver
          Rylle, East Kingdom (near Hershey PA - think chocolate! ;-), and I
          copied the design from a shire member. I could take pics, but to post
          them to the web would take a bleeping long time (don't have the equipment
          here, and our shire's website is in the process of moving...egad). I
          could mail them to someone who could post them, or directly to you, if
          you wish.

          -Caro

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Jennifer Hill
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 21, 2002
            Greetings unto Caro:  Thank you for the suggestion!
            I did manage to make little leather envelopes for the tines, altho I still need to make loops to go over the handle... an added protection to keep little fingers out.
            Thank you for the suggestions.  YIS, Gwen