Re: [medieval-leather] Unfamiliar title

  • Arthur Kathan
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30 5:58 AM
      I was talking with a friend this weekend, who mentioned this book:
      "Medieval Footwear from Coventry: a catalogue of the collection of
      Coventry museums" by Susan Thomas. It was published by the Coventry
      Museums in 1980 - ISBN is 0 901606 15 4.
      I had not seen this title mentioned here, before, and was curious if
      anyone else knew about it and how useful it might be for shoemakers.
      --Corin
      Arthur Kathan
    • Gregory G. Stapleton
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30 6:46 AM
        Message
        I have it.  It has a description of all shoe finds up to the time of publication and a selection of drawings of period shoes and shoe pieces that were found during excavations in and around Coventry, England.  If you are wondering if it's worth obtaining, I'd say yes.  If I had to put a ranking on the order of books I would purchase, it would go something like this:

        Stepping Through Time
        Shoes and Pattens
        Primitive Shoes
        History of Footwear
        Medieval Footwear from Coventry

        That being said, it's not an easy book to come by, so if you have a chance to grab a copy, I'd recommend doing so.

        Gregory G. Stapleton
        "I proudly pledge allegiance to one nation under God."