Re: [medieval-leather] Slickers

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8 5:51 PM
      At 10:21 AM 7/8/02 +0100, Steve Almond wrote:
      Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask: why should I
      invest in a 'bone' slicker? Why not use the back of a spoon? And no, I
      haven't tried either of these out!

      Not a stupid question, of course, but the answer is that any smooth, non reactive material will work.  The biggest concern, is that irons and most steels will leave dark stains, and copper alloys will react to the leather as well.  Well smoothed and polished wood will do the job.  The traditional "Bone" folder tool just happens to have a shape that does a lot of jobs.  I'm not sure if the leather workers stole it from the book binders, or vice versa.

      I have the nylon ones that I got from Tandy, long ago, I have a couple that I made out of actual bone, and I have one made of walnut.  They all do the job equally well, but the surface on the bone and wood ones get smoother with use, while I have to periodically take a strop to the nylon ones to keep them smooth.  I'm more willing to really bear down and put pressure on the nylon ones, though.

    • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8 9:47 PM
        At 10:21 AM 7/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
        >Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have to ask: why should I
        >invest in a 'bone' slicker? Why not use the back of a spoon? And no, I
        >haven't tried either of these out!

        My guess would be because they're not shaped the same at all. And they
        don't have the same surface texture. I didn't get a real bone folder until
        I started working with books & it's different even from the plastic "bone"
        folders.

        Sharon/Morwenna,
        who likes the real thing....

        "It takes a pretty good man to be better than no man at all..."
        -Saffire, the Uppity Blues Women

        "Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains"
        -Paul Harvey
      • deirdre_bookbindings
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 9 12:29 AM
          A bookbinders bonefolder comes in a varity of sizes, they can have a
          pointed end or a rounded end, they do the job better than a spoon.
          If your heavy handed you can damage the leather by crushing the
          grain, teflon bonefolders are great because they don't mark the
          leather.
          I like to buy up old manicure sets in charity shops, you get great
          little tools, same with emery boards, really useful for sanding
          areas and need a bit of flexability.

          deirdre
        • lthrwrk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9 8:28 AM
            Working in leather for over ten years now.  I have made slickers from wood, purchased slickers from suppliers of plastic.

            I pick up most often for slicking ... antler.. errr canvas.. emmm.. both.  Probably the deer antler.  I have quite a few of them I got from a friend who does buckskinner events.

            Why do I so frequently use the deer antler.. texture, performance, natural.   Canvas... sometimes I have a chunk of it with beeswax rubbed in and carry it in my pocket.  Sometimes will simply reslick someones leather.  Good way to promote goodwill.

            Charles
            Often SCA leather merchant.. sometime NERONW Gypsy Merchant