Re: [medieval-leather] Re: I am making a suit of Leather Armour...

  • matt kaye
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
      --- rmhowe <mmagnusm@...> wrote:
      > One of the current archaeology magazines - Minerva (maybe) has
      > a page piece on lamellar armor in it. There was a close up of
      > the internal lacing method and the helmets.

      is the magazine Minerva still in publication? I haven't found any mention
      of it online, except for one site that lists its first publication from
      1998.

      > You know those Chinese lamellar suits of the Terracotta army?
      > It turns out that there have been finds of leather helmets
      > done in leather and leather lacing in another area not too
      > far away. Fairly concurrent with the Qin Shi Huang Ti army.
      > Same type of scales and lacing. Only real instead of simulated
      > in clay.

      ...and I would really love to find more info on this subject. before I
      apprenticed, I made a suit of this armor out of oiled, mahogany dyed
      leather, and then I tried to document it afterwards. My laurel,
      understandably, poo-poohed this line of thought, but I would still like
      to do a paper on it, particularly if I decide to do another version. I
      have various internet articles on the terra cotta warriors, and bought a
      fairly detailed book on them, but nothing of how the actual armor was made
      was in any of them. I merely counted the rows of squares, applied it to my
      height and build, and then put the thing together. so far, it works, tho
      the leather, at 8-10 ounces, is a bit light to work without padding. I
      have seen a painting of the Qin helmets in an article of National
      Geographic dated within the year, but I don't know how reliable a source
      of documentation the magazine is.

      any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
      rolf the blunt

      =====
      Television is called a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
      Ernie Kovacs

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • scout18
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
        rolf I am not sure but it seems like that style of armor is also byzantine. I cannot cite a source. maybe if you look into Duke Carriadocs miscellany youcould find a source. that is where I got my instrucions for making my lamallar armor. good luck
      • Dunx
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
          I have a suit of lamellar (unhardened as yet) and am working out ways to
          harden the leather. Unfortunately, I think it's all chrome-tanned, so I
          can't use the water-hardening system I've read about in a number of places.

          I have seen several different patterns for tying the lamellar together and
          am assembling a linklist on a number of leather pages that have caught my
          eye (including several belonging to worthies on this list ;o) ). I could
          send that list across here in a while, if people are interested.

          I haven't found much about medieval leather caps, tho. A bit hard when any
          evidence is likely rotted away by now....

          Dunx
        • scout18
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
            If not to the list send it privately
          • matt kaye
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
              --- scout18 <scout18@...> wrote:
              > rolf I am not sure but it seems like that style of armor is also
              > byzantine. I cannot cite a source. maybe if you look into Duke
              > Carriadocs miscellany youcould find a source. that is where I got my
              > instrucions for making my lamallar armor. good luck

              noper. it is definitely chinese, circa 220 BC, tho after 1000 years the
              style would have certainly migrated west to the middle east and europe and
              changed along the way. I've read of the Qin fighting as mercenaries
              against a roman legion, and they pretty much sent them home packing. at a
              broad guess, that may have been Europe's first introduction to that
              design.
              thanks for the tip on Cariadoc's page; I haven't been there for a while,
              and I'll look there again.
              rolf

              =====