Re: [medieval-leather] Gum Ammoniac Quandery

  • Adam Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1 5:56 AM
      I suspect your size (the gum ammoniac I assume) is indeed soaking into the leather. Whenever I've gilded something I also use an undercoat of chinese red acrylic to provide a contrast colour where the leaf wears thin. This also seals the leather nicely, preventing any soak-through of the size. Any sort of acrylic paint will do (like Cova dye) as long as it's thinned enough not to obscure any carved detail.

      Good luck! (by Saturday?! you're going to need the luck ;-).
      Adam

      Sword in the Stone Crafts -- Fine Leathercrafts and more for the new renaissance
      http://welcome.to/SwordintheStoneCrafts
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1 6:09 AM

         You could also use a clear acrylic leather finish, like Resolene.

        Scott
        www.thevikingtrader.net

          Adam Smith <spike@...> wrote:

[...]

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1 6:12 AM
          >From: "Adam Smith" <spike@...>
          >Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:56:17 -0500
          >
          >I suspect your size (the gum ammoniac I assume) is indeed soaking into the
          >leather. Whenever I've gilded something I also use an undercoat of chinese
          >red acrylic to provide a contrast colour where the leaf wears thin. This
          >also seals the leather nicely, preventing any soak-through of the size. Any
          >sort of acrylic paint will do (like Cova dye) as long as it's thinned
          >enough not to obscure any carved detail.

          The bowcase that I'm also gilding already had the finish coat on it & it
          worked fine (it was actually done once- and then I learned what happens to
          composite leaf on leather. A painful lesson, I must admit, but not one I'm
          likely to forget ever. I'm using teh real stuff this time) so I was
          thinking that might have been the problem.

          >Good luck! (by Saturday?! you're going to need the luck ;-).

          I've been working on the piece for quite some time now, but I've run into
          just about every problem I can think of. It's an odd pattern (12th Century
          Mongolian, which I'm recreating from a painting) so it took much longer than
          I thought just to figure out the bottom part & get all the holes punched.
          And then after I formed it, it took days to dry, even sitting in front of a
          heater (the bow case didn't take more than a couple of hours). I'd hoped to
          have the thing done last Sunday. AT least I have most of tonight to work on
          it. But I've resigned myself that it really won't be a fully finished
          condition by Saturday & have let her know, but it will at least be wearable.

          Sharon/Morwenna,
          who is starting to hate gold leaf, too......

          >Adam
          >
          >Sword in the Stone Crafts -- Fine Leathercrafts and more for the new
          >renaissance
          >http://welcome.to/SwordintheStoneCrafts

        • Adam Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1 6:19 AM

            >worked fine (it was actually done
            once- and then I learned what happens to
            >composite leaf on
            leather.  A painful lesson, I must admit, but not one I'm
            >likely to
            forget ever.  I'm using teh real stuff this time) so I was
            >thinking
            that might have been the problem.

            Odd... I've never had a problem with the alloy stuff, as long as I gave it a top coat of something so it wouldn't tarnish.

            >Mongolian, which I'm recreating from a
            painting) so it took much longer than
            >I thought just to figure out the
            bottom part & get all the holes punched

            Gee, I've got a quiver sitting in the corner of the studio without anything in the bottom... been there for a coupla years now ;-). I understand your pain.

            cheers,
            Adam
          • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1 12:19 PM
              At 06:09 AM 03/01/2002 -0800, you wrote:

               You could also use a clear acrylic leather finish, like Resolene.

              Scott
              www.thevikingtrader.net

              Probably I'll use the same polyurethane finish I use as a finishing coat on my leather pieces. I already know what it does & I already have some.  :)

              Sharon/Morwenna

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1 12:25 PM
                At 09:19 AM 03/01/2002 -0500, you wrote:

                >worked fine (it was actually done once- and then I learned what happens to
                >composite leaf on leather.  A painful lesson, I must admit, but not one I'm
                >likely to forget ever.  I'm using teh real stuff this time) so I was
                >thinking that might have been the problem.

                Odd... I've never had a problem with the alloy stuff, as long as I gave it a top coat of something so it wouldn't tarnish.

                It didn't tarnish at all- and I'd put a really good several coats of finish on it to make sure that didn't happen.  What it did was turn green.  The tannins in the leather reacted with the brass.  Maybe if you're sealing yours first it's taking longer for the tannins to get through or they won't get through at all, but for my part I don't think it's worth the risk of having to deal with that again.

                >Mongolian, which I'm recreating from a painting) so it took much longer than
                >I thought just to figure out the bottom part & get all the holes punched

                Gee, I've got a quiver sitting in the corner of the studio without anything in the bottom... been there for a coupla years now ;-). I understand your pain.

                Literal pain, too.  My hands started hurting so bad that I had to ask my husband to widen up all my holes because they weren't big enough to get my needle through.  Fortunately, I'm married to a wonderful guy who's willing to help his wife with her insane projects.  And he's really strong, too.  :)

                Sharon/Morwenna,
                who should head back to work now.....

                I know we can never be truly safe, so I would rather be free.

                "Gonads are perfectly good for their use, but they are no substitute for brains"
                -heard on FM-90 out of London
              • Phlip
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1 12:45 PM
                  Sharon Smith Hurlburt wrote:

                  > Literal pain, too. My hands started hurting so bad that I had to ask
                  > my husband to widen up all my holes because they weren't big enough to
                  > get my needle through. Fortunately, I'm married to a wonderful guy
                  > who's willing to help his wife with her insane projects. And he's
                  > really strong, too. :)

                  What are you using to make your holes? Punching with an awl is a pain,
                  as are trying to use those worthless plier-type rotary punches. I've
                  found, depending on the project, that using either the lacing punches,
                  single and/or multiple prong, or the interchangeable-head round punches
                  (depending on what I'm lacing or sewing with) will allow you to punch
                  zillions of holes with minimal hand stress- the hammer does all the work
                  ;-). If you need smaller slits than the usual lacing punches provide,
                  there's nothing wrong with buying (or making) one for the purpose, and
                  filing it down to the size you want.

                  Phlip
                • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2 1:01 AM
                    At 03:45 PM 03/01/2002 -0500, you wrote:

                    >Sharon Smith Hurlburt wrote:
                    >
                    >> Literal pain, too. My hands started hurting so bad that I had to ask
                    >> my husband to widen up all my holes because they weren't big enough to
                    >> get my needle through. Fortunately, I'm married to a wonderful guy
                    >> who's willing to help his wife with her insane projects. And he's
                    >> really strong, too. :)
                    >
                    >What are you using to make your holes? Punching with an awl is a pain,
                    >as are trying to use those worthless plier-type rotary punches.

                    Normally, I use a stitching fork, which is what I used to sew up the side
                    of the quiver. The holes had an odd spacing on the bottom though, since
                    the outside holes had to be spaced a little further apart on the outside
                    piece than the inside (bottom) piece. I couldn't use the fork on the
                    bottom piece because it was oval shaped & I didn't want to use the fork on
                    the outside because that would have made the inside holes too close
                    together. So, for those I used the awl.

                    Sharon/Morwenna,
                    who did actually get the quiver done....

                    I know we can never be truly safe, so I would rather be free.

                    "Gonads are perfectly good for their use, but they are no substitute for
                    brains"
                    -heard on FM-90 out of London
                  • dunnydeer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2 1:11 AM
                      For making holes I've used an excellent tool from the dental
                      profession. I don't know the name of the tool; it is what they
                      use when making holes in rubber dams that they put over your tooth
                      and mouth just before that whine begins to resound in your ears.

                      It looks like a pair of pliers. There is a pointed punch on one
                      end and it mates with (on mine) one of 5 holes in an anvil which
                      rotates to bring the hole underneath the punch.

                      The holes range in size from approx. 1/32 - 1/8 inches. I haven't
                      used it on leather, but have used it on some fairly thick parchment.

                      Jack

                      (snip)