Re: Mounts

  • kathyaslinger
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
      Try www.quietpress.com. It's Raymond's Quiet Press. He does
      reproductions at reasonable prices.

      Kathy
    • lthrwrk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
        Looks like the consensus is...   Spend the big bucks.  ack..

        I am making 20 belts for a clan.  Them are going to be some kind of expensive.  Was hoping for a source that could produce and later reproduce those same kind of numbers and mounts.

        I have looked into metal casting myself.  Have done some research and acquired some reference material.  Would rather concentrate on the leather than something new.

        Charles
      • Gregory G. Stapleton
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002

          Casting is really pretty easy.  Investment in tools and supplies is pretty minimal, too, to start.  Shame you’re not local.  I’m teaching an Into to Casting class tomorrow night and an Advanced class week after next.  If you have a lot stuff to buy, you might want to look into picking up a new skill set.  I find casting a lot of fun and it’s pretty neat, too! J  A great intro book is: _Practical Casting: A Studio Reference_ by Tim McCreight, the revised edition.  ISBN: 0-9615984-5-X  Brynmorgen Press (207) 767-6059.

          Gregory G. Stapleton

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002

             The gentleman below does some very nice reproduction work (at not to high of prices)

            http://www.quietpress.com

            Gwilim

              "Gregory G. Stapleton" <gregsta@...> wrote:

            One source is:

                        http://www.londonaccessories.com/mounts.html

            Hope this helps.

            Gregory G. Stapleton

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
              And exactly where would one find a 'new skill set"? What kind of
              price range would that have? On-line stores are great, as I live in a
              place far from very much Civilization.
              YIS,
              Aelia the Argumentative

              On 11 Feb 02, at 11:16, Gregory G. Stapleton wrote:

              > Casting is really pretty easy. Investment in tools and supplies is
              > pretty minimal, too, to start. Shame you're not local. I'm teaching
              > an Into to Casting class tomorrow night and an Advanced class week
              > after next. If you have a lot stuff to buy, you might want to look
              > into picking up a new skill set. I find casting a lot of fun and it's
              > pretty neat, too! :-) A great intro book is: _Practical Casting: A
              > Studio Reference_ by Tim McCreight, the revised edition. ISBN:
              > 0-9615984-5-X Brynmorgen Press (207) 767-6059.
              >
              > Gregory G. Stapleton

              There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
            • Michael Sheldon
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 11, 2002
                I'm not sure if this is humor or not...

                >>And exactly where would one find a 'new skill set"?

                He's talking about learning a new skill, as in learning to cast metals. One
                would find such a skill set in tomes of lore, and the knowledge of master
                craftsmen.

                If it were me, I'd find someone to do it for me. I have far too much of a
                tendency to take on too many skills. :)

                Michael J. Sheldon
                http://www.desertraven.com/
                Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!

                And exactly where would one find a 'new skill set"? What kind of
                price range would that have? On-line stores are great, as I live in a
                place far from very much Civilization.
                YIS,
                Aelia the Argumentative

                On 11 Feb 02, at 11:16, Gregory G. Stapleton wrote:

                > Casting is really pretty easy. Investment in tools and supplies is
                > pretty minimal, too, to start. Shame you're not local. I'm teaching
                > an Into to Casting class tomorrow night and an Advanced class week
                > after next. If you have a lot stuff to buy, you might want to look
                > into picking up a new skill set. I find casting a lot of fun and it's
                > pretty neat, too! :-) A great intro book is: _Practical Casting: A
                > Studio Reference_ by Tim McCreight, the revised edition. ISBN:
                > 0-9615984-5-X Brynmorgen Press (207) 767-6059.
                >
                > Gregory G. Stapleton

                There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

              • Anna Troy
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002
                  Actually try Billy and Charlie
                  http://www.billyandcharlie.com/

                  They're much cheaper then all those other guys and
                  they have lots of fun stuff. Belts will cost you a lot
                  anyway since you'll probably need between 15-30 mounts
                  a belt anyway depending on the size of the mounts.

                  Anna de Byxe

                  --- lthrwrk@... wrote:
                  > Looks like the consensus is... Spend the big
                  > bucks. ack..
                  >
                  > I am making 20 belts for a clan. Them are going to
                  > be some kind of
                  > expensive. Was hoping for a source that could
                  > produce and later reproduce
                  > those same kind of numbers and mounts.
                  >
                  > I have looked into metal casting myself. Have done
                  > some research and
                  > acquired some reference material. Would rather
                  > concentrate on the leather
                  > than something new.
                  >
                  > Charles

                  =====
                  "So many books, so little time."

                  "Anna's Crafts Links Page" has MOVED to:
                  http://www.angelfire.com/retro/crafts

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Cindy Croy
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002
                    No, this was a serious inquiry. I was thinking of a set of tools. Not
                    physical skills. Sorry if it came accross wrong. Thanks for the
                    clarification.

                    On 11 Feb 02, at 19:00, Michael Sheldon wrote:

                    > I'm not sure if this is humor or not...
                    >
                    > >>And exactly where would one find a 'new skill set"?
                    >
                    > He's talking about learning a new skill, as in learning to cast
                    > metals. One would find such a skill set in tomes of lore, and the
                    > knowledge of master craftsmen.
                    >
                    > If it were me, I'd find someone to do it for me. I have far too much
                    > of a tendency to take on too many skills. :)
                    >
                    > Michael J. Sheldon
                    > http://www.desertraven.com/
                    > Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!

                  • Bill Schongar
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002
                      > No, this was a serious inquiry. I was thinking of a set
                      > of tools.

                      My two favorite sources:

                      Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com)
                      -They have Everything. Well, okay, _almost_ everything. Much cheaper
                      than average, too. Carving tools (dental picks and scrapers, plus a
                      cheap set of regular carving tools), soapstone, etc. Their catalog is an
                      addicition. : )

                      Rio Grande (www.riogrande.com)
                      -Not the cheapest source, but good service and availability, along with
                      cheap 2-day shipping for us last-minute folks. Pewter, Brass, Bronze,
                      and casting-specific items (crucibles, mold material)

                      And of course:

                      Home Depot (or any hardware store)
                      - Propane cylinders and pushbutton ignition torch head (I got the higher
                      priced one ($35) which does MAPP gas too). Plenty hot enough for melting
                      pewter, a small firebrick oven/forge helps make it hot enough for most
                      other things.

                      I find my biggest problem is I'm not a very good artist, so I tend to
                      have problems modelling originals or getting the mold exactly the way I
                      want. It's just a matter of practice, I suppose..

                      -Liam, amateur caster (among a dozen other hobbies..)
                    • Gregory G. Stapleton
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002

                        That was my original meaning, “A new set of skills.” J  Though, to answer your other question:  What do you need to start casting?

                        It can be pretty inexpensive.  My first casting gear was a Cuttlefish bone (usually a dollar or so at a pet store) to carve my mold into, a propane torch and gas tank (usually to be had for less than twenty dollars as a kit), and a pound of lead-free plumbers solder (modern day pewter, 95%tin and 5%antimony, between five and ten dollars for a spool).  I used a large soup spoon from the kitchen drawer as a melting dish and it was easy to pour from (free, but you catch heck if you break up your wife’s cutlery set). Twenty Mule Team Borax as a flux to keep down oxidation, to be found in the grocery store on the wash powder aisle (two to three dollars).  All told, you should be able to assemble your starting casting gear for under thirty-five dollars.  I cast a lot of stuff this way before moving on to RTV and sand casting.

                        If you want to do RTV rubber molds or delft clay or sand casting, add another twenty or more dollars for a mold making kit, depending on what you want. (For sources of this try: http://www.stuller.com or http://www.riogrande.com )

                        Gregory G. Stapleton

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002
                          Bill Schongar writes:

                          > Lee Valley Tools (www.leevalley.com)
                          > -They have Everything. Well, okay, _almost_ everything. Much
                          > cheaper than average, too.

                          I can't speak for their leather tools, but my girlfriend the
                          woodworker says their wood tools are not usually a bargain.
                          If, however, you need a 7cm bi-curve bit for your frobulator and
                          can't find bi-curves in bigger that 5cm elsewhere ... Lee Valley is a
                          good place to look.

                          Diego Mundoz
                        • Bill Schongar
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002
                            > I can't speak for their leather tools, but my girlfriend the
                            > woodworker says their wood tools are not usually a bargain.

                            Really? That's wierd, I use them primarily for woodworking tools... they
                            do have some definite non-cheap stuff in there, like their line of
                            planes (which work great for skiving leather, btw...), but for drill
                            bits, knives, chisels, etc I've found them to be one of the cheapest.

                            With so much stuff in there, though, I'm sure there has to be stuff at
                            both ends of the scale.. else where would they make a profit? : )

                            -Liam
                          • Eva Jones
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 12, 2002
                              plese take me off this group list. I would rather
                              read these in the room

                              --- jamesahowell@... wrote:
                              > I absolutely agree with Marc, the prices on
                              > the non-pewter
                              > buckles are extremely good. I hate pewter for belt
                              > mounts, and
                              > especially for buckles. Fork for the good stuff!!
                              >

                              > Regards, Finnr
                              >

                              > Ok, after an exhaustive *ahem* search online through
                              > various catalogs, I
                              > still say they aren't that pricy for non-pewter
                              > mounts. The pewter (lead
                              >
                              > free) mounts (as you can see below) tend to run a
                              > lot cheaper.

                              http://greetings.yahoo.com
                            • Frojel Gotlandica
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 16, 2002
                                For those interested
                                There are 4 new Spilling pictures up on the page, new ones of the centre of the silver hoard, the one of the
                                spread out stuff shows 15% of one of the two lumps that make up the 70 kilos, A final count has been done on
                                the coins now, the total was 14,300 coins.
                                Nancy's bone carving article is also up in the documents section as is Shara's article.
                                Cheers
                                Sandy

                                Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                                http://www.frojel.com/
                                frojel@...
                              • Frojel Gotlandica
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2002
                                  Hi All
                                  Sorry about the premature announcement last week about the pages going up. My webmaster was putting the
                                  first one up when I spoke to him and said he would have the rest up in a few minutes. He became suddenly
                                  rather ill and stopped work and went to the doctors, concequently the cloth find from Frojel and the bone
                                  working article didn't get uploaded, but he is back now and they are finally up in the documents section. at
                                  < http://www.frojel.com/_index.html > Interestingly enough for the cloth fanatics the Frojel cloth was what is
                                  termed "Cottening " or fake fur, the cloth was found under the knife and sheath which leads us to believe the
                                  over dress or apron dress was actually fake fur or more like a terry towelling type wool cloth.
                                  The new Spillings Hoard pictures are right down the bottom of the page and show 2 bracelets plus an arm
                                  ring, the centre of one of the silver hoards as it is being cleared from the soil and 15% of one of the two silver
                                  finds.
                                  Cheers
                                  Sandy

                                  Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                                  http://www.frojel.com/
                                  frojel@...
                                • Tim Bray
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 20, 2002
                                    I have looked into metal casting myself.

                                    That would be a big casting, and the burnout cycle would get rather uncomfortable!
                                    ;-)

                                    Kidding aside - when you do learn bronze casting, you will discover why cast bronze belt bits at under $10 each are actually cheap.  Pewter is WAY easier and faster, which accounts for the large price differential.

                                    Cheers,
                                    Tim

                                    Albion Works
                                    Furniture, Clothing, and Accesories