Re: [medieval-leather] Awls

    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 31, 2001
      At 05:54 PM 12/29/2001 -0600, Marc wrote:
      >From: jamesahowell@...
      >looks like rope.  It's hard to explain, but beccome fairly self >evident
      >once you see it.  Look at Shoes and Pattens from Medieval London.

      I don't recall seeing any diamond shaped hoels that couldn't be also
      explained by that 'stitching in a rope pattern' thing in a round or oval
      hole.  Since the drawings are subjective, this is why it would be better to
      see the original.

      Actually, I base my statements on the use of diamond piercing awls on the statements of the experts who wrote the text of the reports.  Skepticism is well and find, but one sometimes has to _hope_ that the scientists are going to report with a reasonable degree of objective accuracy.

      I actually get more out of the technical writing in those "Medieval Finds" books than I do from the pictures.

    • Anna Troy
      Message 56 of 56 , Apr 4, 2002
        I'm in heaven. Received my copy of "Stepping Through
        Time" by Olaf Goubitz. What a book! Thank you, thank
        you Melanie Wilson for making it available :-).

        Anna T

        =====
        "So many books, so little time."

        "Anna's Crafts Links Page" has MOVED to:
        http://www.angelfire.com/retro/crafts

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/