Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Book Covers

  • MH A-TeamFan
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 7, 2001
      Thanks for all the information. I'll check it out.
      Especially the Barnes and Noble thing. Our libraries
      out here leave something to be desired.

      Except my home-town library that has very limited
      selection, but everything they do have was printed in
      1880-something with a leather binding. They have an
      entire collection of first edition Wizard of Oz books.
      If they ever have a library sale....

      --- Anna Troy <owly3@...> wrote:
      > Uhm guys, I took a look at with www.bookfinder.com
      > and
      > you can get The Medieval Book, Barbara A. Shailor
      > for
      > $25.95 at Barns & Nobles
      > http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/
      >
      > A little extra thing about embroidered book covers.
      > In
      > Embroiderers (Medieval Craftsmen)by Kay Staniland
      > there is a picture of a small book with an cover
      > that
      > was embroidered by a certain Elizabeth, aged six,
      > for
      > her daddy the King...
      >
      > Anna de Byxe, who wants to take a course in
      > bookbinding some day. :-)
      >

      > =====
      > "So many books, so little time."
      >
      > "Anna's Crafts Links Page" has MOVED to:
      > http://www.angelfire.com/retro/crafts

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Sharon Burrows
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 7, 2001
        >> >--- Sharon Smith Hurlburt <medhbh@...> wrote:
        >> I'll also post something onto the SCA-Binders & the
        >
        >There's an SCA-Binders list? Would you be willing to send along the
        >subscription info?
        >
        >Whitney
        >Who loves to meet other binders...

        And Aelana who also wants to know.

        Yours in Service

        Aelana Cordovera, MI, AA, J de L, Golden Swan, LA, LS,
        Arts & Sciences Minister, Crown Principality of the North
        Antir Costume Guild Education Officer

        Life in the slow lane is rich and full.
      • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 7, 2001
          At 11:33 PM 11/06/2001 -0800, you wrote:
          >Uhm guys, I took a look at with www.bookfinder.com and
          >you can get The Medieval Book, Barbara A. Shailor for
          >$25.95 at Barns & Nobles
          >http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/

          Right & the British Museum Guide to Bookbinding is around $20. It's the
          Szirmai book that's astronomical. The Art of the Book, which I discussed
          in a different post, runs about $50.

          Actually, I got The Medieval Book, The British Library Guide to Bookbinding
          & the Art of the Book through a local SCA book merchant. She has a web
          site- www.medievalbookstore.com. No kickbacks- she's just a really nice
          person to deal with & a friend & fellow shire member.

          >A little extra thing about embroidered book covers. In
          >Embroiderers (Medieval Craftsmen)by Kay Staniland
          >there is a picture of a small book with an cover that
          >was embroidered by a certain Elizabeth, aged six, for
          >her daddy the King...

          This sounds really cool. And I'm pretty sure Leah Janette has that one....

          Sharon/Morwenna,
          who told her husband yesterday that half of her Yule Wish List is going to
          be books on books. :)

          I know we can never be truly safe, so I would rather be free.
        • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 7, 2001
            At 07:11 AM 11/07/2001 -0800, you wrote:
            >Thanks for all the information. I'll check it out.
            >Especially the Barnes and Noble thing. Our libraries
            >out here leave something to be desired.
            >
            >Except my home-town library that has very limited
            >selection, but everything they do have was printed in
            >1880-something with a leather binding. They have an
            >entire collection of first edition Wizard of Oz books.
            > If they ever have a library sale....

            Can they do inter-library loan? That's where they can get the book from
            other libraries that do have it. Sometimes you have to pay a small
            shipping fee, but that's about it.

            That's how my library got me a copy of the Szirmai book, although a friend
            of mine who works at the main branch of our local library & orders their
            books told me that she tried to get them to order the Szirmai book
            specifically because she knew I'd want to read it repeatedly but they
            wouldn't approve it because it was so expensive.

            Sharon/Morwenna,
            who notes that Nan *did* get them to get in some Irish Language software-
            knowing librarians is very cool.

            I know we can never be truly safe, so I would rather be free.