Re: [medieval-leather] Subj

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
      Pornography, trolls, and list address strippers are -exactly- why
      I do not want my posts forwarded to any newsgroup and why I put
      a copyright notice on the better ones likely to be forwarded.

      Incidentally, I really hope you people have some sort of
      Internet Security firewall -and- current Antivirus program like
      Norton (not that terrible McAfee that comes with Microsoft)
      running. McAffee does not work with Netscape to examine
      downloading mail like Norton. McAfee is also a lot harder to
      update. Norton self installs itself when you update your DAT files
      and it checks frequently to make sure you are up to date.

      You must uninstall McAfee to install Norton. They view each other
      as viruses. I had mine done when I bought the new computer at
      the store. I understand Dr. Solomon is also good.

      You can pick up all kinds of viruses and worms presently just
      by visiting some websites.

      I got popped with a virus/worm off a Homestead site a couple
      weeks ago and in trying to track down a hacker to his numerical
      website origin (page under construction) from my security log
      yesterday I picked up another hit (instantly quarantined) through
      the web browser - so make sure your web-browser security is
      enabled as well. I had overlooked that little possibility myself.
      Now it's taken care of.

      In the last two weeks off of twenty some lists and those two
      websites I've had about forty virus/worm attachments, and a
      number of hack attacks.

      And I'm not on DSL either. I'm on a landline. I keep cookies
      disabled unless I'm buying (and then I admit cookies -only-
      from the originating server), and I keep Java and Javascript
      off in my Edit/Preferences/Advanced menu with Netscape.

      A while back I checked the twenty or so cookies on my machine
      and discovered one from a gambling website I've never visited
      in my life.

      For some reason some people are getting hit with posts that are
      being infected passing through their webservers, and not coming
      from the original poster. I know one person whom this has happened
      to that notified me I sent it. Yet the list master, and my version
      of the list message returned, never received any attachment. So
      it was coming as an attachment to her through some server in between
      us. Right now I'm running Norton on high internet security. Well
      worth the money.

      I've also gotten in the habit of updating my virus definitions
      -before- I download mail every few days. You stay out of a lot
      of trouble that way. Few things are so earth shaking you need
      to see them immediately. And by that time the more obnoxious
      people are done with some argument you missed out on it anyway.

      Running an ALL FILES/not Program Files only/ check periodically
      (like more than once a week) is smart. Some of these worms/viruses
      are installing themselves once you shut down/restart the computer.
      After you download mail is a really good idea.

      I'm very fortunate in that a close friend is a computer tech and
      comes over to fix things quickly when I have a problem for free.
      But I'm learning. Keeping some printed out instructions to repair
      some of the effects of the major worms/viruses before you get
      them is also a good idea. W32.Badtrans / W95.Hybris worm / or
      the brand new Nimda one is smart. You can get these off of the
      anti-virus program websites. When you get a Badtrans worm and
      your computer starts in SAFE MODE you'll wish you had the printout.

      Keep smiling, you're living in the modern age.
      Maybe we should have all bought Macs.

      Magnus
    • imago
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
        > Keep smiling, you're living in the modern age.
        > Maybe we should have all bought Macs.

        or be running GNU/Linux

        imago
      • Robert Huff
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
          imago writes:

          > or be running GNU/Linux

          Happiness is a 0% Microsoft machine, with firewall.

          Robert Huff
          (FreeBSD since 1993)
        • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
            At 06:33 PM 10/01/2001 -0400, you wrote:

            >Incidentally, I really hope you people have some sort of
            >Internet Security firewall -and- current Antivirus program like
            >Norton (not that terrible McAfee that comes with Microsoft)
            >running. McAffee does not work with Netscape to examine
            >downloading mail like Norton. McAfee is also a lot harder to
            >update. Norton self installs itself when you update your DAT files
            >and it checks frequently to make sure you are up to date.

            Funny- I've found the exact opposite to be true. Norton's a pain in the
            ass & McAfee (except for one recent version that ate up way too much of my
            processor for my poor slow machine to handle) has run like a dream. I also
            like the fact that with McAfee, they just give you the DAT files- there's
            no extra subscription fee for them (which my agency- which uses Norton-
            won't pay for, which is why I read all my e-mail at work through Hotmail,
            much as it annoys me).

            I've used both, since I have Norton at work & McAfee at home. McAfee's DAT
            files update the same way my Norton ones did when I could still get them-
            that "Live Update" thing or whatever it's called. McAfee has had no
            trouble scanning my mail as it downloads & has caught quite a number of
            viruses then.

            Sharon/ Morwenna,
            who notes that you may have got the gambling site cookie from a pop-up

            I know we can never be truly safe, so I would rather be free.
          • Tim Bray
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
              >Funny- I've found the exact opposite to be true. Norton's a pain in the
              >ass & McAfee (except for one recent version that ate up way too much of my
              >processor for my poor slow machine to handle) has run like a dream.

              Maybe I had that version... my computer was getting increasingly
              idiosyncratic, and I thought maybe a virus had slipped past
              MacAfee. Eventually I uninstalled MacAfee and that cleared up all my problems!

              So the "virus" was my anti-virus program.

              Just don't use Microsoft Outlook - nearly all the virus/worm/whatever
              programs we read about are specifically tailored for it. Eudora is my
              first line of defense...

              Cheers,
              Tim
            • Anne-Marie Rousseau
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                Eudora is my
                >first line of defense...
                >
                >Cheers,
                >Tim

                yep...fewer viroides, and you can filter out all the "subj" subject lines
                into the wastebasket unread! :)

                --Anne-Marie
              • Frojel Gotlandica
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 1, 2001
                  Don't have any of those problems with PM Mail either.

                  > Eudora is my
                  >>first line of defense...

                  Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                  http://www.frojel.com/
                  frojel@...
                • The_redman@compuserve.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                    In a message dated 10/1/01 3:36:01 PM, mmagnusm@... writes:

                    << Maybe we should have all bought Macs. >>

                    I did!

                    Duryn/John
                  • TarbhLW@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                      In a message dated 10/02/01 4:17:20 PM, The_redman@... writes:

                      << Maybe we should have all bought Macs. >>

                      So did I.

                      Uilliam
                      A tire is only flat on the bottom.
                    • Sharon Burrows
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                        >In a message dated 10/02/01 4:17:20 PM, The_redman@... writes:
                        >
                        ><< Maybe we should have all bought Macs. >>
                        >
                        >So did I.
                        >
                        >Uilliam
                        >A tire is only flat on the bottom.

                        Yeah, me too

                        Yours in Service

                        Aelana Cordovera, MI, AA, J de L, Golden Swan, LA, LS,
                        Arts & Sciences Minister, Crown Principality of the North
                        Antir Costume Guild Education Officer

                        Life in the slow lane is rich and full.
                      • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                          At 11:02 PM 10/01/2001 -0700, you wrote:

                          >>Funny- I've found the exact opposite to be true. Norton's a pain in the
                          >>ass & McAfee (except for one recent version that ate up way too much of my
                          >>processor for my poor slow machine to handle) has run like a dream.
                          >
                          >Maybe I had that version... my computer was getting increasingly
                          >idiosyncratic, and I thought maybe a virus had slipped past
                          >MacAfee. Eventually I uninstalled MacAfee and that cleared up all my
                          problems!

                          >So the "virus" was my anti-virus program.

                          Yep. I don't know what happened with it. My uncle had the same problem,
                          which is how he figured out what was wrong with mine (he'd put some new
                          memory in at the same time that he gave me the upgrade & we thought the
                          chips were bad). So, I just went back to the old version & its worked
                          fine. I'll wait until my uncle tries the next upgrade & see if they've
                          fixed the problem by then.

                          >Just don't use Microsoft Outlook - nearly all the virus/worm/whatever
                          >programs we read about are specifically tailored for it. Eudora is my
                          >first line of defense...

                          Same here. I love Eudora- it was the first e-mail program to have a spell
                          checker & the filters are great! :)

                          Sharon/Morwenna,
                          who has all her mailing lists color-coded. :)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 2, 2001
                            At 04:37 PM 10/02/2001 +1000, you wrote:
                            >Don't have any of those problems with PM Mail either.
                            >
                            >> Eudora is my
                            >>>first line of defense...

                            You know, it's funny. When my boss was setting up the senior's internet
                            connection at my senior center (which I could have done much faster than
                            she did but she was the boss), she was very surprised that I chose
                            Netscape over Explorer & Outlook. I told her Netscape doesn't have the
                            virus problems that Explorer & Outlook does, which surprised her even more.

                            Sharon/Morwenna,
                            who's now *very* glad she chose Netscape since they won't pay for her virus
                            updates...

                            I know we can never be truly safe, so I would rather be free.