Re: [medieval-leather] Is Everyone OK..??

    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
      Sandy,

      Not a problem. This is one of those things that people are going to be getting heated
      up about, regardless. If I'd been halfway bright, I would have just stayed silent or replied
      privately. According the news, they've just arrested a suspect -- hopefully that will
      actually pan out into good solid leads.

      Marc
    • marc-carlson@utulsa.edu
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
        Quoting Robert Huff <roberthuff@...>:
        > One source, who refused to go on the record.

        Mmm, right. That too. Such a vague language, journalese.

        Marc
      • Drag
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
          The head of the FBI reported this as fact in his statement this afternoon, but also said the owner of the car had been cleared as a suspect

          Drag
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
            As tragic an event as this was, do we really need any more discussion of it
            here? This type of posting has been mercifully absent or minimal on the
            other leather lists I'm on. I hear plenty enough of this at work, where we
            had very significant clients in the WTC, people we know/knew, and our NYC
            office staff had a horrifying front-row seat from their 20th floor offices
            in midtown on 7th Ave. There's a bulletin board on cnn.com if you want to
            debate issues none of us can prove.

            Okay, rant-mode off...

            Adam

            > Not a problem. This is one of those things that people are going to be
            getting heated
            > up about, regardless. If I'd been halfway bright, I would have just
            stayed silent or replied
            > privately. According the news, they've just arrested a suspect --
            hopefully that will
            > actually pan out into good solid leads.
            >
            > Marc

          • Frojel Gotlandica
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
              Hi Marc
              Not a problem, we wouldn't be human if it didn't upset us, I think the police and FBI will arrest a lot of
              people for questioning, if things are normal only 1% will be able or willing to help, we also have to hope this
              will not start a witch hunt. A lot of people who are innocent will be taken in for questioning as well simply
              because or race or creed but that has to be. When you thresh grain you get a lot of chaff and some seed.
              Hopefully they will find one or two people who will be, or provide leads to those who are, guilty.
              Don't apologize for speaking your mind mate, it helps to lessen the damage, this has very obviously caused
              you a lot of stress and anguish, my sympathies are with you and I am glad that your lovely lady is safe.
              I think the whole world is hoping that the rest of these people are found quickly and arrested.
              Sandy

              On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:38:53 -0500, Marc Carlson wrote:

              >Sandy,
              >
              >Not a problem. This is one of those things that people are going to be getting heated
              >up about, regardless. If I'd been halfway bright, I would have just stayed silent or replied
              >privately. According the news, they've just arrested a suspect -- hopefully that will
              >actually pan out into good solid leads.
              >
              >Marc

              Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
              http://www.frojel.com/
              frojel@...
            • Frojel Gotlandica
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
                The Australian Govenment via our foreign Minister Alexander Downer has just officially announced that they
                have classified this incident as a terrorist attack on Australia and Australian citizens. They stand ready to do
                what ever is required under the current treaties with America. The people in Australia are angry in the extreme,
                we have never seen such anger in a country that is so lay back. This country and it's people stand ready to do
                anything that is required of it from donating blood products to a tactical response.
                .
                God help the bastards who did this because we won't.

                The unaccounted number of Australians is now up to 85 known to be in the area of the world trade buildings.
                400+ have been accounted for. Hopefull most will be found we are still finding out about more tourists known
                to be in the area. Nothing is known about the missing 54 people working in the towers.

                Sandy

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
                  > Drag wrote:
                  > The head of the FBI reported this as fact in his statement this
                  > afternoon, but also said the owner of the car had been cleared
                  > as a suspect

                  Okie dokie.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
                    Frojel Gotlandica wrote:
                    > Not a problem, we wouldn't be human if it didn't upset us...

                    You bet. I've been intrigued by the fact that some of the people
                    who've been arrested have been arrested not by the police or the
                    FBI,
                    but by the INS. Normally this would bother me since such an
                    arrest
                    means that under US law, all those rights we normally reserve for
                    prisoners (like charging them within 48 hours, and so on) don't
                    kick in. Normally this would bother me a lot, but right now I
                    barely
                    care -- which tells me just how angry I am (and THAT bothers me
                    more
                    since I'm normally a big proponent of such niceties as habeus
                    corpus).

                    OTOH, not having aircraft overhead is just eerie.

                    However, since this isn't really on-topic for this group, I'm
                    just
                    going to let it drop for now. If anyone wants to discuss it
                    privately, but otherwise I'm out of this topic here.

                    marc
                  • Damian McMallan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
                      Hi Sandy

                      Try getting yourself a copy of yesterday's Sydney Morning Herald. It has an amazing story of a 24 year old
                      Australian who was on the 94th floor in the second tower who managed to escape before the second plane hit. he fell
                      down 6 flights of stairs but is still alive.

                      The whereabouts of most of his co-workers is sadly unknown....

                      The attack has been on the TV non-stop now for two days on Australian TV. Most networks have had commercial free
                      coverage.

                      I would like to echo Sandy's comments.....

                      Damian
                      Ascalon http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~dmcm9040/ascalon

                      Frojel Gotlandica wrote:

                      > The Australian Govenment via our foreign Minister Alexander Downer has just officially announced that they
                      > have classified this incident as a terrorist attack on Australia and Australian citizens. They stand ready to do
                      > what ever is required under the current treaties with America. The people in Australia are angry in the extreme,
                      > we have never seen such anger in a country that is so lay back. This country and it's people stand ready to do
                      > anything that is required of it from donating blood products to a tactical response.
                      > .
                      > God help the bastards who did this because we won't.
                      >
                      > The unaccounted number of Australians is now up to 85 known to be in the area of the world trade buildings.
                      > 400+ have been accounted for. Hopefull most will be found we are still finding out about more tourists known
                      > to be in the area. Nothing is known about the missing 54 people working in the towers.
                      >
                      > Sandy
                      >
                      > Fr”jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                      > http://www.frojel.com/
                      > frojel@...

                    • Frojel Gotlandica
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 12, 2001
                        OK, Chat room at Frojel is open if anyone wants to use it.

                        http://www.frojel.com/_index.html

                        Cheers
                        Sandy

                        Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
                        http://www.frojel.com/
                        frojel@...
                      • ajohnson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 13, 2001
                          Hi all,

                          YES we need to continue to talk about this Horrific act. Talking is just
                          one way that helps Everyone get through such an ordeal.
                          Rather if in person or on an e-mail list. I have helped by donating blood
                          as well as many others in my community. I only
                          wish there was more I could do. I am sorry if you think you have heard/seen
                          enough of this. but I can tell you, there Will
                          be a lot more talk and discussion in the coming weeks. Also think of the
                          people who live and work around that area...
                          you think you have seen enough, please, they are the ones that should say
                          they have had enough. I am Very proud of this
                          country for pulling together. It kind of reminds me of what happened in the
                          cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
                          Even after the attack on the U.S.A. people were not weakened, we have been
                          made stronger. Please keep the Rescue workers
                          and the victims in your hearts and prayers.

                          -=- Andrew -=-

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/