Need information

  • Frederick.Greathead@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
      Sorry to but in your list, but - I'm a writer seeking some
      information.
      I need the name of the japanese leather armour which begins with the
      letter "C"; it sounds like curboil or something like that.

      And, has anyone a detailed listing of the various bits and pieces
      which make up this armour.

      Thank you

      FWG
    • Adam Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
        Kabuto? That would be a helmet, sometimes made of leather, and frequently
        quite elaborate with molded leather headpieces. Then there's the
        Kawa-zutsumi (Leather) Tatehagi Okegawado style of armour from the Edo
        period, seen here:
        http://antique.collectors-on-line.com/dealers/barrydavies/catalogue/oriental
        london/b66.html

        As for detailing the bits and pieces that make up a full suit of Japanese
        armour, you're going to have to get more specific in terms of the period
        you're interested in, the region it's from, and the elaborateness of the
        armour... there's at least a dozen different medieval Japanese chainmail
        patterns each with specific names.

        There's not a lot of detail on the web. I'd suggest a good university
        library and narrow your search somewhat.

        cheers,
        Adam

        Sword in the Stone Crafts -- Fine Leathercrafts and more for the new
        renaissance
        http://welcome.to/SwordintheStoneCrafts

      • jamesahowell@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
                  Try Arms and armor of the Samurai, I. Bottomley and A.P. Hopson, ISBN 0-517-64467-3.
                                                                                                                  Regards, Finnr

          href="http://antique.collectors-on-line.com/dealers/barrydavies/catalogue/oriental">http://antique.collectors-on-line.com/dealers/barrydavies/catalogue/oriental

          london/b66.html

          > As for detailing the bits and pieces that make
          up a full suit of
          > Japanese
          > armour, you're going to have to get
          more specific in terms of the
          > period
          > you're interested in, the
          region it's from, and the elaborateness of
          > the
          > armour...
          there's at least a dozen different medieval Japanese
          > chainmail

          patterns each with specific names.

          > There's not a lot of detail
          on the web. I'd suggest a good
          > university
          > library and narrow
          your search somewhat.

          href="http://welcome.to/SwordintheStoneCrafts">http://welcome.to/SwordintheStoneCrafts

          href="mailto:Frederick.Greathead@...">Frederick.Greathead@...>

          the japanese leather armour which begins with
          > the
          > > letter
          "C"; it sounds like curboil or something like that.

          And, has anyone a detailed listing of the various bits and pieces

          which make up this armour.

          > > Thank you
          > >
          > > FWG

          > Your use of
          Yahoo! Groups is subject to

          "Better is alive than lifeless to be; the living can always get a cow.
          The halt can ride a horse, the hand-less drive a flock, the deaf can bravely battle.
          A blind man is better than a burned one; a corpse is useless to all."   Havamal
        • Herb
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2001
            The term is cuir buiolli. And japznese armour was also laquered, sometimes
            on both sides.

            Thorin Olafsson