Re: [medieval-leather] Re: leather period tankards and jacks ( patterns)

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2001
      The way the Williamsburg guys make the bottoms of their molded
      stuff is to soak the leather and put it between metal rings
      of approximately 3/16" by 3/4" steel.
      You could do it just as well by having a board ( perhaps exterior
      plywood) with a hole in it and an undersize plywood disc to
      account for the thickness of the leather either side.

      If you'd like to see this perhaps you can still order the vhs tape -
      The Williamsburg Trunkmaker (actually has little to do with
      trunks, a lot to do with layout and stitching) from
      1-800-PlayPBS Used to be available from WUNC-TV in Chapel Hill, NC.
      Might be available through WGBH Boston, MA.
      About $20. It depicts the Saddlemaker's Shop at Williamsburg,
      where they do a lot more than just saddles. It's in the Woodwright's
      Shop Series of Roy Underhill, he's been making the programs for
      twenty years now. It depicts the use of the rings to make jacks.
      I bought the tape.

      Obviously if your bottom piece has a slight taper, and your
      tankard bottom has a slight taper then at some point when your
      piece is pushed in it's going to be the right size, unless it's
      too small. Then just trim off the excess after sewing.

      | | | |
      / / \ \
      /_/ \_\

      Magnus