Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Re: Stroppy!

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 1, 2001
      There is a technique of thermal cycling O2 that produces very Wootz-like
      results. It's in the experimental stage now, but results are very
      promising. It's been named Neo-Wootz for now to differentiate the two, but
      the name is just about the only thing that looks different without
      destructive testing.

      If you have access to a precision kiln or annealing furnace you may be able
      to reproduce the results yourself. So far the low tech experiments have not
      had satisfactory results, unfortunately.

      Jason Baker

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 4, 2001
        "Jack C. Thompson" wrote:

        > I put a mirror finish on my leather paring knives, and the
        > final polish happens on the flesh side of a goat skin sharpening
        > wallet which I make.
        >
        > However, looking at an old slack strop in my collection, the
        > following information is stamped on some cloth stitched to the
        > leather at the bottom (i.e. the part one holds when stropping
        > a blade):
        > "GENUINE SHELL Finish on this side" I don't know when 'Tokio'
        > became 'Tokyo' but this particular strop is 'part' number 230,
        > manufactured by 'Tokyo Shioda.'

        I have an old book on Tokio from not long after it changed names.
        It's full of stories and pictures from the period. I collect
        the currency of the era, and China (Literally the Middle Kingdom
        Chung Kuo), Choson (Korea, land of the morning calm), Dai Nihon or
        Nippon (Great Japan (or Giappon as Marco Polo named it was an
        invention drawn from his attempt at a Chinese pronunciation))
        and Annam - roughly Northern Vietnam and a bit south. Actually,
        the Chinese referred to the short legged Japanese as Island Monkey
        People, and the Japanese called the Europeans Namban or Southern
        Barbarians - lots of this had to do with their lack of bathing
        or tonsurial habits, they also came from the south.
        America was named Beikoku by the Japanese - meaning Rice Country.
        We exported rice there at one time, mostly from our southern
        plantations.

        Edo, the capital of the Tokugawa Shogunate became Tokyo about
        1868 when the Japanese Emperor resumed control over the state
        and established the National Diet, or legislature there.
        Previously Emperors had largely held a ceremonial religious
        role, and were kept in Nara, the Daimyo's and the Shogun
        ruling 'by consent' as it wasn't. The last Shogun was a weakling
        and abdicated control. This was brought about by the incursion
        of Admiral Perry in about 1854 and the forced opening of various
        tradeports throughout Japan causing a tremendous rift in Japanese
        Society. There is a print showing the hapless Japanese trying
        desperately to tow Perry's new sidewheeler out of the bay.
        It was done as much to protect foreign sailors shipwrecked on
        the shores of Japan as it was to open the company to trade
        (with someone besides the Dutch getting rich).

        One of the first things the new Emperor did was send his scholars
        and ambassadors abroad to learn European and American industry,
        marine science, and military training. In thirty-five very short
        years they beat Russia's navy and took Port Arthur. They possessed
        an amazing assimilation rate. (The Borg should take lessons.)
        This pretty much ended the Samurai role in Japanese Society
        excepting those who served in the Military or Foreign Relations.
        Japan also took Formosa (Taiwan) and Korea during this period.
        They had long had the Ryukyu (Floating Dragon) Islands -
        Okinawa and areas adjacent.

        Some of the old time Samurai and their Dai-myos (Great Names) they
        followed got in some serious trouble for firing on the American
        and other foreign ships, or attacking them in public.

        Tokyo simply means Eastern Capital. Edo was originally a small
        fishing village until Tokugawa Ieyesu decided to move the
        Capital there from Kyoto after winning the incessant wars
        about 1616 or so.

        He established a period of peace lasting about 240 years.
        During this time only the Portuguese black ships could trade
        at a manmade island, I seem to recall it being in Nagasaki
        Harbour. No European was allowed on the mainland. Only certain
        Japanese were allowed on the island, consorts among them.

        Previously the Spanish and Jesuits were allowed on the mainland
        but John Adams, an English ship's Pilot, exposed their treachery
        to Ieyasu. This was the period depicted in part by the movie
        Shogun with Richard Chamberlain. The names were changed but if
        you know the history they are instantly recognizable. John Adams
        told the Shogun of the Pope's agreement to divide the New World
        equally between Portugal and Spain, and was of course not amused.
        He was never allowed to leave Japan. He did command an arquebus
        corps for Ieyasu. His title was Anjin-san, or Lord Pilot.
        This was the curious period when some European armor was copied
        or adapted to Japanese tastes.

        The Japanese wanted Chinese Silks and spices, the Chinese wanted
        tobacco, and other things like opium. Gold was at a premium in
        Europe, buying much more silver to trade to the Chinese for the
        silks and spices that brought outrageous amounts of gold from Japan.
        The Dutch / Spanish could trade for an unequal amount of silver
        for gold until the gold ran out in Japan because of the
        difference in relative evaluation. They also took back gold,
        tea, silks, lacquer, opium, and flower bulbs and porcellain to
        Europe. Amsterdam was built on this trade, much as Venice was
        in the Mediterranean.

        About 1870 to 1872 there arose a Samurai rebellion to restore
        the old customs. Samurai had been forbidden to wear swords
        in public, and even had to learn new trades, such as teaching
        to support themselves. In the end the main part of the Samurai
        was defeated by the new commoners' army and the leaders commited
        suicide in a cave. The new commoner's army was European trained
        and equipped.

        Magnus the eclectic.