Re: [medieval-leather] "Every Lady Her Own Shoemaker"

  • Ken Nye
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 22, 2000

      Hi everyone,

      Guilty as charged. I hope no one thought I was trying to pass off "Every Lady" as a medieval shoemaking text. There are a great many differences in both style and in the way the uppers are made. It is of some use for its description of stitching and turning and did help a rank beginner (me) produce a wearable pair of shoes first time round.

      Ken.

      >From: "Marc Carlson"
      >To: medieval-leather@egroups.com
      >Subject: [medieval-leather] "Every Lady Her Own Shoemaker"
      >Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:36:31 -0000
      >
      >Some months ago, someone (I think it was Ken) suggested this book as
      >being appropriate for someone learning to make turnshoes. I've
      >finally gotten a hold of the book, and while I agree it's probably a
      >good starter book, it really has nothing, except some conceptual
      >similarities, to do with Medieval shoemaking. Much less than, for
      >example, Rees, John F. The art and mystery of a cordwainer; or, An
      >essay on the principles and practice of boot and shoe-making. With
      >illustrative copperplates. London: Printed for Gale, Curtis, and
      >Fenner, 1813 (which also discusses making turnshoes, if only in
      >passing). Again, it's probably good for a start, but the designs
      >aren't Medieval at all, and the techniques discussed could be better.
      >In other words, don't marry yourself to it, or you'll be doing
      >yourself a disservice. I don't think there is a *best* first book for
      >learning to make turnshoes, yet. Maybe someday someone will write
      >one.
      >
      >Marc

    • Melanie Wilson
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 23, 2001
        Can anyone tell me where I can get this pls?

        Mel
      • Melanie Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2001
          >I just happen to have facimile copies of it, including the folding plates
          at
          $15.00 Canadian ($10.00 US.) Send cheque or money order to: Ken Nye, PO
          Box 624, Bridgetown, NS, Canada, B0S 1C0.
          I don't merchant or anything but I am a fan of this particular little book
          so I made extras when I did my own copy from one in a museum.

          GREAT !!!! I'm in the UK so I'll need to give you extra for postage, if a US
          cheque is OK I'll get it off asap

          Mel
        • Ken Nye
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2001
            Hi Mel,
            I just happen to have facimile copies of it, including the folding plates at
            $15.00 Canadian ($10.00 US.) Send cheque or money order to: Ken Nye, PO
            Box 624, Bridgetown, NS, Canada, B0S 1C0.
            I don't merchant or anything but I am a fan of this particular little book
            so I made extras when I did my own copy from one in a museum.

            Ken.

            >From: "Melanie Wilson" <melaniewilson@...>
            >To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [medieval-leather] Re: "Every Lady Her Own Shoemaker"
            >Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:14:47 -0000
            >
            >Can anyone tell me where I can get this pls?
            >
            >Mel

          • Ken Nye
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2001
              Canadian banks seem to have no trouble dealing with foriegn currency so
              whatever you have to send is fine. I think we're at about $2.25 Can. to the
              UK pound, so call it UK 6.50. I'm not overly fussy about exact fractions.

              Glad I can help,