Custom stamping tools

  • Michael Sheldon
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
      Does anyone know where I could get a custom stamp made for tooling leather?
      I'd like to get one made for a "maker's mark" on goods I am making for sale.

      Michael J. Sheldon
      http://www.desertraven.com/
      Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!
    • bloodsng@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
        the Leather factory will make them for you
      • Philippa Alderton
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
          Both the Leather Factory and Tandy Leather will make them to spec, but they
          tend to be fairly large (about 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inches).

          You might try these companies, suggested by a guy on my smithing List- he
          said the first, Cunningham, had given him good service. Since these are for
          smithing, I think they're fairly small- have heard they do well for both hot
          and cold stamping steel- should be pretty durable.

          Hope this helps.....

          ################################

          M.E. Cunningham Company
          Box 307
          Ingomar, PA 15127
          412-369-9199
          412-366-3048 fax
          Custom hand stamps, ask for Frank Speicher

          Henry A. Evers Corporation
          72 Oxford Street
          Providence, RI 02905
          401-781-4767
          800-553-8377
          Custom hand stamps, ask for Rose

          Finest Steel Stamp
          1 Mitchell Dr.
          Manchester CT 06040
          203-643-1778
          Custom steel stamps and engraving of metal.

          Harper Manufacturing
          3050 Westwood Dr. No. B-5
          Las Vegas, NV 89109
          800-776-8407
          702-735-6895
          Makers of custom hand stamps.

          Microstamp Corporation
          2770 E. Walnut Street
          Pasadena, CA 91107
          800-243-3543
          818-793-9491 fax
          http://www.microstampusa.com
          Custom made hand stamps. They will work from your sketch and make a
          stamp up in the size ranging from 1/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter.

          MRB Jewelers Supply Corp.
          2404 Fifth St.
          Fort Lee, NJ 07024
          201-461-6472
          201-461-2942 fax
          Custom made steel stamps. Brochure available.

          Rite-Mark Stamp Company, Inc.
          4141 North Atlantic Blvd.
          Auburn Hills, MI 48326
          810-391-7600
          810-391-7462 fax
          Suppliers of custom and standard hand stamps, laser marking, and
          quality engraving.
          #################################

          Phlip

          Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

          phlip@...

          Philippa Farrour
          Caer Frig
          Southeastern Ohio

          "All things are poisons. It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
          poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

          "Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
          Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

          "It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
          so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
          Boswell

          "And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous
        • Michael Sheldon
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
            Thanks... I'm definitely not looking for something very big. Probably in the
            1/2 X 3/8 inch range.

          • The_redman@compuserve.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
              Depending on the complexity of the image, you might be able to make your own
              stamps. I have used Dremel and files to create a stamp out of both wood (hard
              dowel) and metal (for really small ones, get a nail with a large head,
              otherwise use some bar stock of the proper size. Brass is easier to cut than
              steel, and should hold up reasonably well. The wood ones last for a while,
              and if the design isn't too complex, you might be able to make several of
              them, and just switch when the first one starts to give out. I haven't tried
              fire-hardening the wood ones, but it might be worth a try.

              If you have any metal workers in your area, perhaps they could create
              something for you. If you can create an original in any medium (wax, soap,
              etc), it can be duplicated by sand casting in pewter or bronze. Or find a
              smith to forge something, if it's not too detailed.

              Duryn/John
            • hugh snow
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
                try tandy's leather if you can find one

                most of the stores i used to visit would advertise custom stamp making