RE: [medieval-leather] Stupid question

  • Anna Troy
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 11, 2000

      >> Her.
      >>
      >Well there you go. Never ask a chick anything about hand tools!
      >
      >Vitale
      >
      >(ducks and runs)

      And the duck flyes quaking after you and nips you on the behind!

      Anna de Byxe

      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      "So many books, so little time."

      "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
      http://hem.fyristorg.com/owly/crafts

      "The Shire of Aros"
      http://hem.passagen.se/owly/index2.html
    • Arthur Kathan
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 11, 2000
        At 08:22 PM 10/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >Vitale skrev:
        >
        >>Well there you go. Never ask a chick anything about hand tools!
        >
        >Vitale, my friend. I am female. I am a blacksmith, as well as a leather
        >worker. I am furthermore blonde. I came up with tongs, first of those on the
        >List. I have a three pound cross peen, recently refurbished, which hates
        >people whose names start with V.
        >
        >Any questions?
        >
        >;-)
        >
        >Phlip
        >
        >Never PO blacksmiths- they've got big tools.

        And I always thought that they were just bragging.
        --Corin
      • Alex Kharnam
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 11, 2000
          > >Never PO blacksmiths- they've got big tools.
          >
          > And I always thought that they were just bragging.
          > --Corin

          Nope. no bragging at all. We are too frequently asked for documentation.
          :)

          Sasha
          ...evil bastard mode : ON
        • rmhowe
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
            Tell the dopey cuss that he ought to check out the russian (some are
            in English) versions of the Novgorod excavations. If the Museum of
            London has one item they probably have hundreds of it.
            14,000 leather artefacts and 10,500 knives the firt five years I'm
            thinking. All kinds of tools and blacksmith tools. Weapons, musical
            instruments, cast ornaments, carvings etc. Shoes and boots.

            For that matter have him check out Gretta Arwidsson's The Mastermyr
            Find from Norm Larson Books, Lompoc California. Whole 12th shopworth.
            metalworking, soldering, woodworking, cooking.

            Academics really out to get out of the cafes and open a book once in
            a while. I'm surprised they can read the pencil on their 20 year old
            crib notes in lecture.

            I suppose Maximillian's armourers beat out full fluted gothic armor
            with their overbites.

            Magnus

            Marc Carlson wrote:

            > <Phlip>
            > >>I'm not sure, but I think blacksmiths have been using tongs for about a
            > >>zillion years. I'm checking....
            >
            > Right, thank you. One of those items that even if they don't show up in the record is likely to have
            > been used out of sheer necessity (after all, what ELSE are you going to hold metal with for working
            > with - your bare hands?)

            Actually, bent, twisted green sticks if ya got em.

            > (Lack of sleep -- I know I've seen tong/plier like items in the pictures - tweezers are found in the
            > Museum of London books... *mutter*)
            >
            > Thank you again.
            >
            > Marc

          • rmhowe
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
              My favorite faux pas in two of the Living History books on the
              Medieval Knight and 14th Century Town I think were the mailmaker
              using a pair of lasting pliers and the peasant hoelady using a
              shipwright's
              adze with the poll and eye wrapped in cloth to disguise it.
              Otherwise fairly nifty little books for what they were.
              Mayhap your man consulted?
              Magnus

              jamesahowell@... wrote:

              > Horse hockey. The easiest rebultal to that is "Blacksmith tongs". What
              > are blacksmith tongs but a long handled set of pliers? I am pretty sure
              > I've seen actual pliers in woodcuts of chainmail makers and jewelers.
              > Yes! See _Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight_ page 176-the
              > illustration of a mail maker.
              > Regards, Finnr
              >
              > On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:51:08 -0000 "Marc Carlson"
              > <marc-carlson@...> writes:
              > > Ok, I can look for this myself, but I'm busy so I thought I'd ask
              > > if anyone had anything immeadiately to hand --
              > >
              > > I've just been informed by an archaeologist that the middle ages
              > > had no gripping devices similar to pliers, except for "eqyptian
              > > tweezers". Anyone want in on this action?
              > >
              > > Marc

            • Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
                Trouble is with acedemons that they are just that they pursue their victim till they run him down and cannot
                see the world because they wear blinkers, I mean to say an academic once told me there was only one
                animal head brooch found on Gotland. I sent him a CD with pictures of over 600 of the damn things and he
                mailed me back to say they were nice "Copies" but some of the artisans took a bit of licence with the
                decorations.
                Gee Magnus dopey cuss, strong words but then we cannot use the correct adjectives on this list can we?
                Blinkers, tunnel vision, blind as a bat all have connotations suggesting that they do have a brain. Well maybe
                some do but they are the exception not the rule mate. You have to remember that they are basing their stand
                on 30 year old notes dictated in a classromm not from research. They mostly don't know how to do that,
                That is why I put up more than one and a half thousand pictures of artifacts on my web page, so we at least
                can see that there are more than just the one item pictured in a forty year old book. The funny thing is that I
                still have people tell me there is only one animal head brooch or one box brooch, I just gave up and stopped
                talking to them.
                Anyway nice bite keep it up mate and tear their legs off, it mayy wake them up :-)
                Cheers
                Sandy.

                On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:33:45 -0400, rmhowe wrote:

                >Tell the dopey cuss that he ought to check out the russian (some are
                >in English) versions of the Novgorod excavations. If the Museum of
                >London has one item they probably have hundreds of it.
                >14,000 leather artefacts and 10,500 knives the firt five years I'm
                >thinking. All kinds of tools and blacksmith tools. Weapons, musical
                >instruments, cast ornaments, carvings etc. Shoes and boots.
                >
                >For that matter have him check out Gretta Arwidsson's The Mastermyr
                >Find from Norm Larson Books, Lompoc California. Whole 12th shopworth.
                >metalworking, soldering, woodworking, cooking.
                >
                >Academics really out to get out of the cafes and open a book once in
                >a while. I'm surprised they can read the pencil on their 20 year old
                >crib notes in lecture.
                >
                >I suppose Maximillian's armourers beat out full fluted gothic armor
                >with their overbites.
                >
                >Magnus
                >
                >Marc Carlson wrote:
                >>
                >> <Phlip>
                >>
                >> Right, thank you. One of those items that even if they don't show up in the record is likely to have
                >> been used out of sheer necessity (after all, what ELSE are you going to hold metal with for working
                >> with - your bare hands?)
                >
                >Actually, bent, twisted green sticks if ya got em.
                >>
                >> (Lack of sleep -- I know I've seen tong/plier like items in the pictures - tweezers are found in the
                >> Museum of London books... *mutter*)
                >>
                >> Thank you again.
                >>
                >> Marc

                Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society
                http://www.frojel.com/
                frojel@...
              • Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
                  I've just been informed by an archaeologist that the middle ages
                  had no gripping devices similar to pliers, except for "eqyptian
                  tweezers". Anyone want in on this action?

                  Strange the Mastermyr book mentions a pair of flat bladed pliers.
                  Buy the poor thing a copy of it for Xmass.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
                    You two done yet? I think the question's been adequately covered thank you.
                    If you want to turn this into a generic "Academic bashing" thing, please take it
                    off line. Otherwise, we're going to have to reply to it - and I think that when it
                    comes inappropriately believing asinine things - non-academics are still going
                    to win out -- hands down. So, unless you are willing to dance - don't start.

                    For the record, *I* am an academic, the archaeologist I was referring to is not -
                    she works for a living, just not for a university.

                    Marc
                  • Arthur Kathan
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
                      At 07:44 AM 10/16/00 -0500, Marc wrote:
                      >For the record, *I* am an academic, the archaeologist I was referring to
                      is not -
                      >she works for a living...
                      Did you really mean to state this, this way?
                      *I* am an academic,...she works for a living
                      --Corin
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
                        At 10:24 AM 10/16/00 -0500, Arthur Kathan wrote:
                        >>Did you really mean to state this, this way?
                        >>*I* am an academic,...she works for a living

                        You know, ironic humor isn't any funnier when you have to explain it.
                        I rarely say things I don't mean.

                        marc
                      • Teal
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 16, 2000
                          Is this really necessary?

                          Cyneburh, academic-in-training

                        • cptkay@hotmail.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 1, 2001
                            The mastermyr book shows several tongs and gripping things, even
                            heavy scissor like "tin snips"...
                            kay--- In medieval-leather@egroups.com, Marc Carlson <marc-