RE: [medieval-leather] Digest Number 124

  • John Petty
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
      Jonathan T Getty wrote:

      >Quick advice request...

      >I need to buy a side (not shoulders) of 8-10oz veg-tanned leather, average
      >to good quality, for a class I'm teaching next week. I'd like to do better
      >than the >$5/foot I'm seeing at the places I frequent (Leather Factory,
      Siegel, SavMor).

      >Anyone have any advice? I'd like to get a good price for my students.

      Try Hide Crafters in Fort Worth, TX. I don't have their number handy right
      now, but they advertise in most of the leather publications. Otherwise, call
      information at 817-555-1212, and you can get the number. Ask for either
      George Hurst or Tom Landry and tell them I sent you. :-)

      Best,

      John E. Petty
      GreenManLthr@...
    • Philippa Alderton
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2000
        >>I need to buy a side (not shoulders) of 8-10oz veg-tanned leather, average
        >to good quality, for a class I'm teaching next week. I'd like to do better
        >than the >$5/foot I'm seeing at the places I frequent (Leather Factory,
        >Siegel, SavMor).

        Try S & T Leather, in Columbus, Ohio. I've bought several good quality sides
        from them, about $50-60 apiece, averaging 18 to 20 sq. ft. They're usually
        mail order, and they can get an order out in a rush.

        Excellent folks to deal with, btw. Obviously, if you can get in there and
        pick your own leather, you'll get better hides, but they have a decent
        warehouse-type shop, are willing to work with you, and their stuff is much
        better quality/dollar than anything I've seen at Leather factory. Quality
        was equal to Tandy, prices much better- the only reason I'd send people to
        Tandy in preference to S & T is because Tandy was set up to teach people
        about leather- these folks aren't, although they have a nice supply of books
        and patterns.

        Now, with Tandy defunct, I've gotta teach folks myself ;-(

        Phlip

        Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

        phlip@...

        Philippa Farrour
        Caer Frig
        Southeastern Ohio

        "All things are poisons. It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
        poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

        "Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
        Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

        "It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
        so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
        Boswell

        "And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous