Celtic Saddler's tools, wagons, Chariot, pottery shoes

  • rmhowe
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
      I was asked a question on another list and while I was searching
      the answer happened to note a few things I hadn't mentioned before in
      the following book:

      Moscati, Sabatino & Venceslas Kruta. THE CELTS. New York, Rizzoli,
      1999. 719pp, Bibliography, Photo. & Illus., 8vo, First Edition, New
      Softcover. $35.00, via Bookfinder.com/
      or
      (Book City via Antiqbook)
      The CELTS, by Moscati, Sabatino & Venceslas Kruta; Rizzoli, (c) 1991,
      ISBN: 0-8478-1407-6, 712 pp., Hardcover, dustjacket (one copy, really
      expensive)

      I have the lower hardbound edition. Apparently there is a new
      paperback edition. The hardback seems to be hard to find at a
      reasonable price now.

      Huge book, lots of color pictures. For a major exhibition.

      A great many tools, including the remains of a saddler's leather bag
      with the (many) tools in it. Pottery reproductions of various shoes.
      This thing is indexed by locality only. Lots of chariots and wagons,
      weapons, armor, shields (with diagrams good enough to reproduce).
      Kinda the Ultimate Celt Book, at least 2" thick by many authors in
      many countries. Lots of metalwork and pottery, and everyday items,
      sculpture, drawings of recreated graves, oppida, etc. Tremendous
      amount of jewelry and fittings.

      Magnus
    • Jonathan T Getty
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
        Quick advice request...

        I need to buy a side (not shoulders) of 8-10oz veg-tanned leather, average
        to good quality, for a class I'm teaching next week. I'd like to do better
        than the >$5/foot I'm seeing at the places I frequent (Leather Factory,
        Siegel, SavMor).

        Anyone have any advice? I'd like to get a good price for my students.

        Thanks...
        Jon/Todde
      • Michael Sheldon
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2000
          Weaver carries "Imported V-Cut Strap Sides" in a 7/8 oz weight for $2.80 /
          square, and "Imported Strap Sides" in a 7/8 oz weight for $3.05 / square.

          The heavier stuff is all in the $5 range. (premium grade)

          I've ordered single shoulders and deerskin from them, and have been quite
          happy.

          Weaver: 1-800-932-8371

          Michael J. Sheldon
          http://www.desertraven.com/
          Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!

        • furball@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2000
            Try going to the springfield leather company, they sell veg tan
            tooling hides for about $3.50 a quare foot. I've always found them
            to be a good source.

            http://www.springfieldleather.com/catalog/