Re: [medieval-leather] Pouches

  • Bill Schongar
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2000
      > The thing I was wondering about was how the flap was fastened down.
      > Although there are a number of options, toggles, loops, buckles
      > etc, I could use, I would like to find out what was most commonly
      > done in period

      Finds at Birka included included a leather purse with metal mounts and
      a buckle closure. Other sources and paintings show everything from
      buckles to buttons, though I can't recall ever having seen a 'toggle'
      closure. (Though I'd like to find a source, as I've been making them
      under the 'conjecturally period' school of thought for a while..)

      Suffice it to say that depending on what source you look at, you'll
      find a lot
      of variation.

      > The book I was looking at is redrawings of manuscript pictures so is not
      > very reliable, but the most common method, seemed to be, no fastening at
      > all.

      In most of those cases, from what I've read and seen, the fastening is
      there, it's just hidden by a purse cover and/or not completely drawn.
      One _very_ nice purse cover was in the Sutton Hoo find.. I happen to
      have a link to an online photo or two of it, actually:

      http://www.nyu.edu/classes/garcia/hum2/ASArt/sld006.htm

      Having made a bunch of pouches with and without flap fastenings I have
      just two words of advice for anyone planning on making a free-hanging
      flap and no other closure: Don't Run. I lost some car keys that way.
      Honestly, I don't think too many people would have used something
      without one form of closure or another - too easy to lose things, to
      have things stolen, etc. Bending over to tie one's shoes can often
      times adjust a pouch into wierd angles.

      I'd definitely be interested in anyone else's findings on period
      fastenings - I'm just starting to get into pewter casting, and have
      the silly idea that I want to carve and cast proper period fastenings.
      Now I just have to get better at carving..

      -Liam