Re: [medieval-leather] Leather bowls?

  • Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 6, 2000
      >You know that with Earthenware, you don't have to do the
      >"hot rock" method, but can actually heat the pot :)
      >
      >Marc

      Certainly do Marc I do quite a bit of metal casting as well and use mainly clay cruicibles for that so yes I do know that is
      a commen thing. Mind you people who are a bit carless can generat quite a nice bang with the old thermal shock.
      The purpose of the excercise at the time and still today is to cook and boil with hot rocks rather than risk blowing up the
      pottery. We have fun doing it and it makes people look because it is somewhat unusual. It helps to open peoples minds so
      that we can pour in a little information. A bit like the boiling water in a paper cup. An amazed mind is a mind open to
      information sometimes. Besides that it is good fun and very hard to burn the stew with this method. :-] Something I am
      usually good at. :-{
      Cheers
      Sandy.

      Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society
      http://www.frojel.com/
      frojel@...
    • rmhowe
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 13, 2000
        Previously I mentioned that a number of items can be immersed
        in cauldrons in _separate_ containers to cook at the same time.

        Thus a leather pot wouldn't necessarily have to hang over a fire, or have
        hot stones dropped in it. It would simply be filled with the food and put
        into the cauldron along with other containers in boiling water.

        Other things were cooked that way, so _why not_ leather pots?

        I missed several days of the conversation, due to changing email providers.
        If this has been argued I haven't seen it.

        Loved the experimental archaeology though Sandy!

        Magnus