Re: [medieval-leather] Leather bowls?

  • J. Patrick Hughes
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 6, 2000
      There are numerous accounts of leather pots made by cattle raiding Irish
      and Scotts. These were not tanned, but the skin of the animal being
      eaten. The accounts do not indicate that the pot was for long term use.

      Charles O'Connor
    • rmhowe
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 13, 2000
        Previously I mentioned that a number of items can be immersed
        in cauldrons in _separate_ containers to cook at the same time.

        Thus a leather pot wouldn't necessarily have to hang over a fire, or have
        hot stones dropped in it. It would simply be filled with the food and put
        into the cauldron along with other containers in boiling water.

        Other things were cooked that way, so _why not_ leather pots?

        I missed several days of the conversation, due to changing email providers.
        If this has been argued I haven't seen it.

        Loved the experimental archaeology though Sandy!

        Magnus