Re: [medieval-leather] Leather bowls?

  • Donald Wagner
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 4, 2000
      How did they eat out of them? Hell! How did they cook in the pots?

      Were "pots" not for cooking, but serving in?

      I know you can boil water in a paper cup, but I just don't see that
      working for leather.

      Hope someone knows,

      Donald

      Anna Troy wrote:

      > I just finished reading "The Great Household in Late Medieval England" by
      > C.M. Woolgar and in it on p, 152, 153 leather bowls are mentioned and the
      > Earl of Northumberland is supposed to have proposed in 1511 that leather
      > pots shuld be bought instead of earthenware ones because leather was more
      > durable. Has any of you made leather pots and/or bowls? How did they work
      > to eat out of and what method/s were used to make them?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Ana de Byxe
      >
      > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      > "Librarians are Academia Nuts"
      >
      > "Anna's Crafts Links Page"
      > http://hem.fyristorg.com/owly/crafts
      >
      > "The Shire of Aros"
      > http://hem.passagen.se/owly/index2.html

      > Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental deletes,
      > overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
      > Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
      > Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.
    • rmhowe
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 13, 2000
        Previously I mentioned that a number of items can be immersed
        in cauldrons in _separate_ containers to cook at the same time.

        Thus a leather pot wouldn't necessarily have to hang over a fire, or have
        hot stones dropped in it. It would simply be filled with the food and put
        into the cauldron along with other containers in boiling water.

        Other things were cooked that way, so _why not_ leather pots?

        I missed several days of the conversation, due to changing email providers.
        If this has been argued I haven't seen it.

        Loved the experimental archaeology though Sandy!

        Magnus