Re: [medieval-leather] Leather bowls?

    Message 1 of 52 , Jun 29, 2000
      At 09:02 PM 6/29/00 +0200, Anna wrote:
      >I just finished reading "The Great Household in Late Medieval England" by
      >C.M. Woolgar and in it on p, 152, 153 leather bowls are mentioned and the
      >Earl of Northumberland is supposed to have proposed in 1511 that leather
      >pots shuld be bought instead of earthenware ones because leather was more
      >durable. Has any of you made leather pots and/or bowls? How did they work
      >to eat out of and what method/s were used to make them?

      I have never heard of this. It sounds really interesting.

      Marc
    • rmhowe
      Message 52 of 52 , Jul 13, 2000
        Previously I mentioned that a number of items can be immersed
        in cauldrons in _separate_ containers to cook at the same time.

        Thus a leather pot wouldn't necessarily have to hang over a fire, or have
        hot stones dropped in it. It would simply be filled with the food and put
        into the cauldron along with other containers in boiling water.

        Other things were cooked that way, so _why not_ leather pots?

        I missed several days of the conversation, due to changing email providers.
        If this has been argued I haven't seen it.

        Loved the experimental archaeology though Sandy!

        Magnus