[medieval-leather] Re: leather shoe weight

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 1999
      MelanieWilson@... writes:

      > I'm sure you are I go barefoot most of the summer & in costume in wet
      > coditions in preferance to wearing shoes, as I prefer wet feet that dry
      > easily than feet with damp lumps of leather on them :) I had an op on my
      > foot a few years ago the surgen complained I had skin like rhino hide, I've
      > also troddon on glass barefoot without it cutting and walked around the
      > Lake District (England) on an event where we skirmish through a large wood
      > all day, most od which is covered with slaty sharp stones.

      My point exactly! When one does go barefoot more often than not, one tends to
      develop tough skin, calouses (and flat feet!). But that does aid in the
      protection of the foot. Also, when people marvel that my Gaelic curarans had
      no hard soles, I have to remind them that most historic peoples did not have
      to contend with walking over what we have to walk on (rough gravel roads and
      paths, broken glass on the sidewalk, etc.)

      Aye,
      Eogan

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather