Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Gilding- How to cut the gold leaf?

  • Neil Carr
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2000
      Copernicus Skygazer wrote:

      > In one of the previous posts, someome mentioned cutting the leaf into
      > appropriate sizes...how in heck do you do that? I look at this stuff and it
      > wads up into a tiny lil ball. :)
      >
      > Phillip the Skeptic

      I, having finished moulding the leather bottle, and dyed it, am now in
      the process of gilding. The method that seems to work best, is to lay
      the leaf down on the flesh side of a piece of veg tan, and crease it/
      cut it with the back edge of a knife (butter knife, in this case).
      Pressing down and running the knife back and forth creates a fold along
      which it's easier to "tear" the leaf with a smooth(-ish) edge.

      I'll let the list know how it goes. I'm using some sort of Dutch metal
      called "Magic Leaf", and the first layer didn't do too well, but could
      be my general inneptitude. Second layer's size is geting tacky even as I
      write...

      Neil Carr
    • Gefjon
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2000
        When I cut the gold leaf that I use for illumination,
        I lay the sheet on a 'guilding cusion' or the flesh
        side of a piece of leather, and cut it with a scapel
        or an exacto knife. I then use the side of the knife
        to transfer the gold leaf to where I want it. To cut
        the leaf, press down with the knife, using a bit of a
        side to side motion, rather than drawing it across the
        sheet of gold. It is easy to tear the gold if you
        drag the knife across it. What ever you do, don't
        sneeze!! <g>

        Gefjon

        --- Copernicus Skygazer <muck@...> wrote:
        > In one of the previous posts, someome mentioned
        > cutting the leaf into
        > appropriate sizes...how in heck do you do that? I
        > look at this stuff and it
        > wads up into a tiny lil ball. :)
        >
        > Phillip the Skeptic

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Teal
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2000
          Phillip wrote:

          >In one of the previous posts, someome mentioned cutting the leaf into
          >appropriate sizes...how in heck do you do that? I look at this stuff and it
          >wads up into a tiny lil ball. :)
          >
          >Phillip the Skeptic

          I my small amounts of gilding I've not found it necessary to cut gold leaf
          anywhich way. It comes in small squares adhering to a glossy backing; you
          put the size on the spots that you want gilded, and press the gold leaf (on
          backing) onto those spots. It only sticks to the size, and stays on the
          backing otherwise. I gather that when using gold leaf not-on-a-backing-sheet
          it works much the same way but is fiddlier. Maybe there are other techniques
          involving cutting...but not the ones I was taught.

          Cyneburh
        • Gefjon
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2000
            Interesting. I've never seen it adhering to a
            backing. The leaf that I use comes in small 'books'
            with a thin sheet of tissue between each leaf of gold.

            Gefjon

            http://im.yahoo.com/