[medieval-leather] Ian's Boss

  • Alex Kharnam
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2000
      Just when we started to think that nothing too interesting ever happened out
      here at the ends (or beyond) of civilisation....

      Got to get up early (It is possible on a Sunday) and attend a lecture by one
      prof. Peter Addyman, Head of York Archaeological trust, etc, etc, initials
      ad infinitum.

      Very interesting and enjoyable lecture.
      Got to see slides of some of those shoes that have sat on Ian's desk. The
      lasts too.

      I fear we permanently warped the mans perceptions though.

      He was describing the Coppergate helm. Showing all of the detail work and
      pointing out that all of the animals represented on it were remarkably
      recognisable except for the animal at the joining of the nasal and eye
      ridges "...which seems to be purely fanciful, and working in with the
      necessary shape of the metal at that point"

      I looked at it and before i could stop myself said (rather too loudly) "It's
      a platypus!"

      I think that dreams of how the Saxons could have visited these shores will
      haunt Peter for the remainder of his days.
      It does indeed look entirely too much like a platypus :)

      By the way, Ian ...
      I understand that there were all sorts of interesting leather finds that
      came to light when the pumping station went in and allowed stuff to be
      exhumed from the actual river silt (river used to be 3m lower, I am told).
      Peter said that all of the stuff from that find had been put on the back
      burner while they were interested in publishing results from the more
      immediately spectacular digs. Have you worked on any of the stuff from the
      river silt? Anything way interesting?

      Sasha
      ...who treated most lectures at Uni as conversations too (some lecturers
      cope well with it and thrive....the rest ...well.....)