[medieval-leather] Medieval Irish Leatherworking...

  • Tigernach mac Eo/ghain ua A/eda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
      I'm looking for resources for period examples or styles of leather
      design, tooling and decoration - I am particularly interested in
      Ireland during the IXth to XIIth centuries. Can anybody begin to
      suggest resources, either on or off the Web?

      Tigernach mac Eo/ghain ua A/eda
    • Gregory Stapleton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2000
        Sorry it's taken so long to get you an answer, but it took me a while to
        look this up. :)

        Look at the following article (available through interlibrary loan):
        Waterer, John William. "Irish book-satchels or budgets" Medieval
        Archaeology 12 (1968): 70-82.

        This article is a great source on both tooling / decoration and
        construction.

        Hope this helps,

        Gregory Stapleton

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2000
          I thank you... this is just the kind of thing I was looking for!

          Tigernach

          "gregory stapleton" <gregst-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/medieval-leather/?start=2
          827