[medieval-leather] rapier hangers

  • Jonathan T Getty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2000
      Most of the recreations I've seen of rapier hangers (i.e. to wear on a
      belt) consist of a bell-shaped piece of leather, attached to the belt by a
      ring or loop at the top, and a strap from the forward bottom corner of the
      hanger to the belt. The sword hangs from 4-10 buckles on the bottom of the
      bell shape, and there is frequently a slit in from top to center bottom
      (presumably allowing the rapier to better stay in place). The face of the
      hanger is frequently decorated with conchos, other jewelry, or tooling.

      Could anyone comment on how representative this style of hanger is for the
      mid to late 16th century? I've seen it in a few 17th century portraits
      (incl. the portrait of Girard Thibault from his book), and from a poor
      angle in one 16th century portrait. What other methods were used of
      hanging rapiers? (I've seen one portrait where a baldric is used) What
      shapes & sizes have you seen and how were they decorated?

      Thanks for any advice...

      Jon/Todde
    • Michelle "TJ" Brunzie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2000
        > Could anyone comment on how representative this style of hanger is for the
        > mid to late 16th century? I've seen it in a few 17th century portraits
        > (incl. the portrait of Girard Thibault from his book), and from a poor
        > angle in one 16th century portrait. What other methods were used of
        > hanging rapiers? (I've seen one portrait where a baldric is used) What
        > shapes & sizes have you seen and how were they decorated?

        Hi, Jon, could you point me in the direction of the portrait with the
        baldric? And if anyone else on this list knows anything about period
        baldrics for rapiers, I'm all ears!

        Thanks,
        TJ
      • John Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 26, 2000
          I took a gander through the Davenport costume book last night. There were a
          few pictures of rapiers hung with baldrics, seemed to be a little later
          period, as a rule (at a quick glance). Most of the hangers I saw seemed to
          be a narrow strap hanging down at an angle from the opposite hip, and often
          another narrow strip straight across the waist as a support for that. I
          could not make out anything that seemed to be buckles in the area where the
          sword was suspended, although in many of the pictures, the man's hand was
          on the sword in that area.

          John/Duryn