[medieval-leather] Leather boxes

  • aengus/lynn
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2000
      Does anyone know where I might get some pictures and documentation on
      leather boxes? I saw one at Leeds castle in October and want to make
      something similar. I seem to remember seeing one on a website someplace, I
      think it was in the museum of Paris? Any help would be most appreciated.
      Aengus.
    • Anne-Marie Rousseau
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2000
        hey all from Anne-Marie
        Aengus asks:
        >Does anyone know where I might get some pictures and documentation on
        >leather boxes? I saw one at Leeds castle in October and want to make
        >something similar. I seem to remember seeing one on a website someplace, I
        >think it was in the museum of Paris? Any help would be most appreciated.

        are they leather, or are they wood, covered in leather?

        --AM
      • rmhowe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2000
          aengus/lynn wrote:

          > Does anyone know where I might get some pictures and documentation on
          > leather boxes? I saw one at Leeds castle in October and want to make
          > something similar. I seem to remember seeing one on a website someplace, I
          > think it was in the museum of Paris? Any help would be most appreciated.
          > Aengus.

          Berger, Ewald: Prunk-Kassetten, Europaische Meisterwerke aus Acht
          Jahrhunderten, Ornamental Caskets, Eight Centuries ; 1998:
          Arnoldsche, Stuttgart, cloth, dj, Text in English and German.
          The Hans Schell Collection, Graz., profuse color & b/w illus.,
          318 pages, 12 x 10, ornamental caskets / decorative art /
          metal work /gold boxes. ISBN 3-925369-83-X $110.
          Bestand katloge der Hanns Schell collection; Bd 1. (to be
          followed by others on cast iron objects, locks and keys, forged
          steel objects, and guild emblems.) Pp. 336, approximately 500
          illustrations.
          Berger, Ewald: Ornamental Coffers; Eight Centuries of European
          Craftsmanship ISBN: 392536983X Arnoldsche Verlaganstalt GmbH,
          Jan.1999, US 110.00 Same book as above.
          http://www.arnoldsche.com/

          Buckley, J.J.: Some Early Ornamented Leatherwork. Journal of the Royal
          Society of Antiquaries of Ireland vol. XLV, part IV, 1915.
          pp.300-309 (Cumdachs and Polaires: Medieval Irish Book Shrines
          and Book Satchels)

          GALL, GÜNTHER.: Leder im europäischen ; Kunsthandwerk. Braunschweig,
          1965. 4to., orcl., xii, 406 pp., w. 16 pl. in color 304 ills.
          in text. (Bibl. für Kunst u. Antiquitätenfreunde, Bd. XLIV).
          Klinkhardt & Biermann - Braunschweig. - It is flat out stunning
          in the variety of items. There are fantastic things in it like
          crown cases, reliquary cases, leather caskets and trunks, cases
          for all sorts of things, many of them repouseed in very high
          relief. There are a number of leather covered shields in it. A
          few early ones, many from around 1600. On the subject of shoes,
          it has only a shoe foot reliquary, and I don't recall any
          saddles. The entries are from many different museums and
          countries. - There are a number of differently styled leather
          bottels than we are used to seeing although there is a short
          section on English style jacks, bombards, and costrels.
          - There are cases for silver and crystal cups, one particularly
          fine piece is a leather cover for a fully rigged silver ship
          centerpiece, masts, flags, rigging and all.
          - There are some knife scabbards but no sword scabbards except
          for a case for a sword of state.
          - A few of the pieces are religious. Most are secular. The
          majority of the book is simply masterpiece quality work.
          - A number of the pieces such as the shields and caskets are
          illustrated from more than one view, in the case of the caskets
          usually front and back or front and top, but not ends. I was
          very impressed with the number of leather caskets in it. The
          majority of this book is later Middle Ages and Renaissance and
          the material seems to end about 1920, but there is very little
          modern work in it. Far better than Waterer.

          Kup, Karl. "Notes on a Fifteenth-Century Cofferet"
          Connoisseur 140 (1957): 62-66.

          Marquardt, Klaus: Eight Centuries of European Knives, Forks,
          and Spoons - An Art Collection; 1997, Coauthored by Ulrich
          Haedeke, formerly direcktor, Deutches Klingenmuseum,
          Solingen. Arnoldsche. Stuttgart. English translation Joan
          Clough. Dt. Ausg. u. d. t.: Europaisches Essbesteck aus
          acht Jahrhunderten. ISBN 3-925369-66-X Depicts a few
          period sheathes and cultery cases in leather.
          260 pages, 23.5 x 31 cm., 447 illustrations (incl. 337 in
          color). Clothbound with jacket. In English. US$ 95,- |
          £ 55,- ISBN 3-925369-66-X http://www.arnoldsche.com/

          Society of Antiquaries of London : Archaeologia; or, Miscellaneous
          Tracts Relating to Antiquity; published by the Society of
          Antiquaries of London; Volume CVII (London, 1982) 4to,
          original cloth slightly rubbed, pp. 222, text-illustrations,
          plates. Includes: Swords and sequence in the British Bronze
          Age; Anglo-Saxon Glass claw-beakers; Anglo-Saxon button
          brooches; The sanctuary ring of Durham Cathedral; The Talbot
          Casket and related late Medieval leather caskets; The
          stained glass of the chapel of the Vyne and the Chapel of
          the Holy Ghost, Basingstoke; Ightham Mote: politics and
          architecture in Early Tudor England. #107 is not hard to get.

          Waterer, John William. "Irish book-satchels or budgets";
          Medieval Archaeology 12 1968, pp. 70-82.

          Waterer, John William. "A Historical Forcer.";
          Connoisseur 134 (1954): 189-191.

          These are some from my notes.

          Magnus, Atlantia, GDH
        • Peter Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2000
            My favorite reference work, _English Medieval Industries_ ed. Blair and Ramsey,
            Hambledon Press 1911, has two very nice pictures of decorated tops of leather
            cases, including the "Talbot Case" which is in the British Museum, and a 14th
            century box in the Yorkshire Museum. The half page discussion cites more
            obscure sources to add to Magnus's:

            R.W. Symonds, "the Chest and the Coffer", Connoisseur, cvii (1941) 15-21

            J. Cherry, "The Talbot Casket and Related Late Medieval Leather Caskets",
            Archaeologia, cvii (1982), 131-40

            A.W. Franks, "Note on some Ornamental Cases Of Leather", Proc., Soc. Antiqs, 2nd
            ser. xiv (1891-30, 246-54

            Handbook the Antiquities of the York Museum (1891), 236

            I will be amazed if you can get anything but Cherry, also the author of the
            article in Eng. Med. Ind., but if you do, let us know what they say <G>

            Peter
          • Frederick Alton
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 17, 2008
              Medieval Leather ResearchGreetings,

              Does anyone know of a good source on leather boxes? I think that there were
              some leather tool boxes on the Mary Rose, but what about small boxes?

              Frederick Alton
              Gleann Abhann
              Checked by AVG.
              10:48 AM

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2008
                At 08:40 PM 3/17/2008, you wrote:
                >Medieval Leather ResearchGreetings,
                >
                >Does anyone know of a good source on leather boxes? I think that there were
                >some leather tool boxes on the Mary Rose, but what about small boxes?
                >
                >Frederick Alton

                They tend to be scattered in other sources. There's really no
                definitive looks on leather boxes, per se.

                There are a few in James Waterer's _Leather Craftsmanship_
                _The Secular Spirit_ (ISBN 0-87099-096-9) has several nice examples.
                There's a 15th century leather over wood box in one of the early
                chapters of _Leather as Art and Craft_ (ISBN 0-517-505754)

                There are more, but I have to look through some of generic books to spot them.

                al Thaalibi ---- An Crosaire, Trimaris
                Ron Charlotte -- Gainesville, FL
                ronch2@... or afn03234@...
              • Colin
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 23, 2008
                  There are a couple picture in "English Medieval Industries", but they're both leather covered coffers, with some form of wooden framework inside.

                  Good luck

                  Colin