[medieval-leather] Book Covers

  • Sharon Smith Hurlburt
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 1999
      Hi, gang.

      I'm currently working on a project with some scribes making a Gothic-styled
      book of hours. But, I've been having trouble finding pictures of leather
      book covers from the period (OR any book covers, actully).

      Does anyone know of a good source for pictures of book covers (preferablely
      in color)? I'd love it if there was somewhere on-line I could check out, or
      something I ould get quickly through IIL, as currently my funds are limited
      as to what I can purchase.

      Thanks!

      Sharon/Morwenna,
      who rufuses to carve all those little leaves that they're doing on the
      actually pages in the book (yikes!)

      @* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *@
      Ealaín Álainn Leathercrafters
      Sharon Smith Hurlburt, Proprietrix
      Quality Celtic, Modern & Medieval Leatherwork
      Custom Orders Welcome
      email- medhbh@...
      Now part of The Mystic Caravan on the Web!
      http://mystic-caravan.com
      @* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *@

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
    • Cad & Martha
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 1999
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 1999
          I have a copy of "Bookbindings" from the Victoria and Albert museum, It's an
          exceptionan book although in black & white except for the cover.The ISBN is
          0 11 290226 x my copy is marked with a price of 6.95 (pounds). Aengus

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 1999
            At 06:15 PM 3/7/99 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]

            Great site! The articles are very interesting, too.

            Do you know what the "blind tooling" is that they mentioned? On the one
            piece where you could see it, it looked rather like the maker had just
            randomly stamped around the main design with a little flower stamp.

            And yes, I am very interested in learning about what you may have picked up
            on the other side of the pond. :) Did you get a chance to look at the
            Irish book budgets at all?

            Sharon/Morwenna,
            who loves Celtic leather most of all. :)

            @* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *@
            Ealaín Álainn Leathercrafters
            Sharon Smith Hurlburt, Proprietrix
            Quality Celtic, Modern & Medieval Leatherwork
            Custom Orders Welcome
            email- medhbh@...
            Now part of The Mystic Caravan on the Web!
            http://mystic-caravan.com
            @* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *@

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
          • argent
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 7, 1999
              May I suggest contact the Walters art gallery in Baltimore MD. They have an
              extensive period book collection .
              I do not have a web address for them but I am sure its available.
              Silver

              eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/medieval-leather
            • lthrwrk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 2001
                In a message dated 11/1/01 9:10:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, kazangus@... writes:

                I was wondering if anyone know if a source for book
                cover patterns.  I have a bunch of flemish style
                illuminations that I would like to bind in a book.

                Any ideas?

                I do a lot of journals.  Depending on the 'flavor' you enjoy you can tool any cover you might like.

                With practice and acquired skill it could be as elaborate as you could possibly wish for.

                YIS

                Lazarus Wolfdracca
                Leather Merchant
                Shire Midhaven
                Kingdom of AnTir
                Ye want it when M'lady??  Sure step into the ...
                Persona at:  http://hometown.aol.com/lazwolfdracca/
                Charles
                LthrWrk@...
                (Mt Vernon, WA)
              • MH A-TeamFan
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2001
                  You can check them out. They consider them regular
                  library books. Although in a small town like that
                  (200 people), they would know who disappeared them.

                  I don't think they own a book published after 1965.

                  --- Pat Larsen <indigo@...> wrote:
                  > Wizard of Oz books.<<<
                  >
                  > I hope they are being safeguarded ... books have a
                  > way of disappearing from libraries ...
                  >
                  > Brigid
                  > whose favorite book on menhirs walked out of a
                  > library by itself.

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • Pat Larsen