[medieval-leather] leather tooling

  • Marge Dwiggins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 1999
      Talon:

      I would be willing to bet that if we sat down next to each other and cased
      leather to work that the resultant texture would be very similar. No
      matter how it's described, leather has to be of a certain consistency to
      work properly and anyone who has been working leather for a while will
      recognize that state. I may not have described it the same way or arrive
      at it the same way you do but I've been working leather for long enough to
      be very comfortable with my methods. I still say you can not let the
      leather dry out while you work or just wet one small area at a time .

      I meant to get back to you sooner but East Kingdom's King's and Queen's
      Archery Championship got in the way. It determines the team for Pennsic.
      Both my husband and I made the team.

      Cheers:
      Rowan

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/medieval-leather
    • Talon Graymane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 1999
        Rowen;
        I wasn't trying to insinuate that you didn't know what you were talking
        about. I tooled leather for about (25) years before I accidentally
        discovered how quickly and evenly hot water worked, how much longer the
        leather remained toolable and how to get that great "burnished shading
        effect" more easilly and consistantly. Just trying to pass on a tip I
        stumbled accross and would never have thought of. Talon

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/medieval-leather