Re: [medieval-leather] Gilding - Gold or Silver

  • Henry Plouse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
      Thanks, very helpful.

      I might note, however, for those without the cash, time, equipment or space to gild leather authentically, it is possible to buy chrome tanned leather which has been factory/tannery foiled with various metal foils (I, personally, have gold, silver, copper, and bronze).  Most of this metallic foiled leather is fairly thin garment or even lining leather (both under 2 oz.), but it works well for making "Medievalesque" gilded/silvered items on the (relatively) cheap and easy.

      YOS,
      ALRIC, Glyn Dwfn

      ________________________________
      From: Fuersty@...
      Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 18:04:28 -0400
      Subject: [medieval-leather] Gilding - Gold or Silver

      Greetings all,

      I'm working on a book cover project, that I'm trying to reproduce a 15th century design. Because I've never done bookbinding or gilding for that matter, I thought I would ask a few question here first.

      - How common was the use of gilding on book covers during the 15th c. (or is that a more modern process)?

      - Would silver have been used more frequently than gold for this purpose?

      I know gold was used quite a bit on vellum manuscript pages.  Silver I believe had lead in it (i think), which would actually eat through the vellum as it aged.

      From what I've been reading, in modern bookbinding, gold leaf is sized onto the leather, stamps are heated up to a specific temperature and basically branding the gold into the leather. Again, is that a modern technique or would they have done embossing without the use of heat?

      I'm finding it hard to locate many references as to what and how early period gilding was done.

      Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

      Tim