Gilding - Gold or Silver

  • lord_sigeric
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2013
      Greetings all,

      I'm working on a book cover project, that I'm trying to reproduce a 15th century design. Because I've never done bookbinding or gilding for that matter, I thought I would ask a few question here first.

      - How common was the use of gilding on book covers during the 15th c. (or is that a more modern process)?
      - Would silver have been used more frequently than gold for this purpose?

      I know gold was used quite a bit on vellum manuscript pages. Silver I believe had lead in it (i think), which would actually eat through the vellum as it aged.

      From what I've been reading, in modern bookbinding, gold leaf is sized onto the leather, stamps are heated up to a specific temperature and basically branding the gold into the leather. Again, is that a modern technique or would they have done embossing without the use of heat?

      I'm finding it hard to locate many references as to what and how early period gilding was done.

      Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

      Tim

    • bigfooted rockmidget
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
        Gilding (of leather) was popular in a large part of the middle ages and later,
        although usually in such a way that it is considered over- the-top extravagant
        for modern standards.
        Here are some rather nice examples:
        http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/41.100.188
        http://smu.edu/bridwell_tools/specialcollections/masterbookbinding/SixCenturiesHighlights.htm

        There are several recipes for making gold for guilding, casting, writing, etc.
        in the Mappae Clavicula. These also involve mixing gold with lead and other
        stuff to make it soft or give it other desirable properties (color). The
        oldest surviving Mappae are from the 9th and 10th century.
        The book contains around 60 recipes dealing with gold and around 10 dealing
        with silver. It also has some recipes on how to make forgeries.

        recipe 250, gilding a skin

        take a red skin and rub it horoughly with pumice stonel then wash it with warm
        water until the water comes off clear; afterwards stretch it on a rack and
        scrape it up to four times ; then stretch it on a place that has a clean
        surface, and even it out thoroughly with a clean piece of wood; Now after it
        has dried, take the white of an egg, dip a clean sponge into the liquid, and
        go over it once in stripes. Now if this is not enough, go over it again; and
        when it has dried, place a leaf, then dip the sponge in water and press the
        leaf to the skin; when it has dried, polish it. Then rub the top of it with a
        clean skin and polish it a second time. Gilding is done in the same way with
        [gum-]tragacanth, but you should put it in water overnight in order to
        dissolve it.

        Hope this helps.

        To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
          Thanks, very helpful.

          I might note, however, for those without the cash, time, equipment or space to gild leather authentically, it is possible to buy chrome tanned leather which has been factory/tannery foiled with various metal foils (I, personally, have gold, silver, copper, and bronze).  Most of this metallic foiled leather is fairly thin garment or even lining leather (both under 2 oz.), but it works well for making "Medievalesque" gilded/silvered items on the (relatively) cheap and easy.

          YOS,
          ALRIC, Glyn Dwfn