RE: [medieval-leather] Re: stitching early knife sheaths

  • bigfooted rockmidget
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2013
      Esther Cameron has this to say (in another book) about Seams and Stitching
      (Leather and Leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York):

      "Knife sheaths of the 7th century were made of animal skin, 1-1.5 mm thick, of
      which the species of some have been identified as calf, but the method of
      tannage is unknown. The form of these well-fitting sheaths involved a fold
      over the back of the blade and a join along the cutting edge, using tunnel
      stitching in thong."

      According to the accompanying figure, it's a half-tunnel stitch, so it's invisible on one
      edge only (In your book, it's figure 1.f). You go in on the grain,out on the flesh, then in on the flesh and out on the flesh side. That way, the stitching is only visible on the back side (take the knife in your right hand, place it on the table, point away from you, with the edge on the left side. The back side is down, the stitching should be invisible and any decoration should be on top).

      What Wayne is describing is a common way of making an invisible butted seam on the flesh side (so invisible on the grain side). This is quite difficult to do for knife sheaths because you either need to turn the sheath inside out after finishing (large sheaths only) or sew it with the grain side out. This was however done (for sheaths) in Scandinavia in the 13th and 14th century.

      Best,
      Nyso

      To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
      From: legviiii@...
      Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 05:50:38 +0000
      Subject: [medieval-leather] Re: stitching early knife sheaths

      --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "KenrickB" wrote:

      > In a number of books and articles I read that most very early knife sheaths (c. 7th c) were closed with a tunnel stitch on the edge side of the sheath. To my mind's eye, this would mean that you wouldn't see the stitch holes from either side. The thread would go in the flesh side of ...

      From memory, the stitching on there is more properly an edge-flesh stitch where the thread goes in from the flesh side on one piece, out through the edge, in through the edge of the other and finally out through the flesh side. Once the stitches are pulled tight, the two pieces together resemble the tunnel stitch used at attach show soles. In this case, you will see two lines of stitches, one either side of the join.

      Wayne