Re: [medieval-leather] Odd Question

  • Michael Hurley
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 26 2:26 PM
      On Sep 24, 2012, at 10:04 PM, silveroak@... wrote:

      > What about human?

      Unless we're talking about books by mad Arabs written in blood about madness-inducing eldritch horrors from beyond space and time, I think the chances of that are pretty slim though not nonexistent. There are certainly cases of it being done, but they're pretty much always things like anatomy books or murder case proceedings where the leather is made from the skin of the book's subject and even then it wasn't common. There's only so much useable skin on an individual so there are only so many copies of a book you can bind with their leather.

      Or perhaps you have a copy of de Sade's "Justine et Juliette" with is said to have had a few copies bound in the skin of women's breasts, complete with nipple. Kinky!

      Joking aside, I don't know what leather made from human skin would look like, so I don't know how you would tell it from, say, goat or sheep skin. Pig usually has a grainy or pebbly texture, even if you can't see the triple-hole spots and so is comparatively easy to determine.
      --
      Yours in Service,

      Owein ap Cai, Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
    • barry hicks
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27 4:34 AM
        Carowyn,

        I have goat and fine calf skin. If you would like I can send you swatches. It might help to compair them to the book. PM me if you want them so I will know where to send them. And that case for papers. ;)

        Lady Barry