Re: [medieval-leather] Odd Question

  • gillianwarrender@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
      I know someone who does historical bookbinding restoraton professionally. If you want, I can put you in touch with him.

      Gillian

      Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2012
        Sometimes you can tell if the leather is pigskin by looking for the holes where the pigs hair (bristles) go all the way through the leather. If you get a pair of hushpuppie suede shoes, look at the leather closely and you will see the tiny holes, grouped in 3's. That is what make hushpuppie shoes "breathable" so your feet are dryer.

        Unfortunately, not finding them does not mean that the leather is not pigskin. The way that the leather is finished apparently determines if the holes are visible to the naked eye.

        Fran

        "Go placidly amid the noise and haste..."

        I know someone who does historical bookbinding restoraton professionally. If you
        ant, I can put you in touch with him.
        Gillian
        Sent from my HTC smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!
        >Sometimes. Skin grain can be very different between animals, so if the cover
        asn't been tooled beyond recognition (Or if it hasn't been buried for
        enturies, or the like) you can often tell what it is by it's grain. Thickness
        an sometimes be used as well.

        OK, then I stand a chance...

        The book in question isn't tooled, the grain pattern can be seen, and it's
        retty thin. 1800's, I think.

        If anyone can help me (and no, I don't have any local leather shops, more's the
        ity), I can provide pics.

        -Carowyn