Odd Question

  • silveroak@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
      Hello,

      Is there a way, besides DNA testing, to determine what creature's leather is binding a book?

      -Carowyn

      Woman is 53 But Looks 25
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5060b73fe685d373f6408st01duc
    • Shawn Zoladz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
        More than likely it's goat or sheepskin

        -Shawn W. Zoladz

        Major Productions, High Quality, Hand Made Leather Goods.

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
          On Sep 24, 2012, at 2:37 PM, silveroak@... wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Is there a way, besides DNA testing, to determine what creature's leather is binding a book?

          Sometimes. Skin grain can be very different between animals, so if the cover hasn't been tooled beyond recognition (Or if it hasn't been buried for centuries, or the like) you can often tell what it is by it's grain. Thickness can sometimes be used as well.

          And actually, DNA testing isn't as useful as you might think. DNA is a long-chain molecule with weak bonds (this is how it is able to function as our building-block code) so it starts to break down quite quickly after death. Actions like heating or chemical treatment can also cause damage to it. After a few centuries, DNA can already be quite fragmented, especially in something that's been treated chemically.
          --
          Yours in Service,

          Owein ap Cai, Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
        • tim foat
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
            If you have a local small leather shop with an older craftsman thats been doing it for 40-50 years they might be able to tell. Took a commercial sheath I thought was synthetic into Stonehendge in San Diego and the guy knew right away what it was.

            Tim

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
              Within certain limits, they've had some success by examining the grain
              structure, but the only way to be sure is chemical/genetic.

            • silveroak@juno.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
                Greetings again,

                >Sometimes. Skin grain can be very different between animals, so if the cover hasn't been tooled beyond recognition (Or if it hasn't been buried for centuries, or the like) you can often tell what it is by it's grain. Thickness can sometimes be used as well.

                OK, then I stand a chance...

                The book in question isn't tooled, the grain pattern can be seen, and it's pretty thin. 1800's, I think.

                If anyone can help me (and no, I don't have any local leather shops, more's the pity), I can provide pics.

                -Carowyn

                Little Green Pill Burns Fat
                How This Weird Bean Extract Can Make You Thinner
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50611b9d8696a1b9d06dbst01duc
              • Michael Hurley
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
                  On Sep 24, 2012, at 9:47 PM, silveroak@... wrote:

                  > The book in question isn't tooled, the grain pattern can be seen, and it's pretty thin. 1800's, I think.
                  >
                  > If anyone can help me (and no, I don't have any local leather shops, more's the pity), I can provide pics.

                  Probably goat or sheep (Which are very hard to tell apart). Possibly pig.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
                    >Probably goat or sheep (Which are very hard to tell apart). Possibly pig.

                    What about human?

                    (So much for being tactful. I don't do it well at all.)

                    -Carowyn

                    Little Green Pill Burns Fat
                    How This Weird Bean Extract Can Make You Thinner
                    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/50611faae22c01faa75fdst01duc
                  • Michael Hurley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 26, 2012
                      On Sep 24, 2012, at 10:04 PM, silveroak@... wrote:

                      > What about human?

                      Unless we're talking about books by mad Arabs written in blood about madness-inducing eldritch horrors from beyond space and time, I think the chances of that are pretty slim though not nonexistent. There are certainly cases of it being done, but they're pretty much always things like anatomy books or murder case proceedings where the leather is made from the skin of the book's subject and even then it wasn't common. There's only so much useable skin on an individual so there are only so many copies of a book you can bind with their leather.

                      Or perhaps you have a copy of de Sade's "Justine et Juliette" with is said to have had a few copies bound in the skin of women's breasts, complete with nipple. Kinky!

                      Joking aside, I don't know what leather made from human skin would look like, so I don't know how you would tell it from, say, goat or sheep skin. Pig usually has a grainy or pebbly texture, even if you can't see the triple-hole spots and so is comparatively easy to determine.
                      --
                      Yours in Service,

                      Owein ap Cai, Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
                    • barry hicks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 27, 2012
                        Carowyn,

                        I have goat and fine calf skin. If you would like I can send you swatches. It might help to compair them to the book. PM me if you want them so I will know where to send them. And that case for papers. ;)

                        Lady Barry