Re: [medieval-leather] info for tools

  • Yvanwolvesbane
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 15, 2012
      Hey there, Forrester-
      Just a quick tip for making wooden punches: While I am assuming that you're using hardwood for them, wooden tools can be hardened by lightly burning the surface of the tool. Not so much that you actually consume any wood, just enough to blacken, then harden the wood. Play around with a couple pieces & you'll soon get it right. Keep in mind that primitive peoples used this method to toughen the points on wooden spears, as an example.
      I have used this method on an iron-wood staff, & it was tough enough to take down an old oak door.

      Yvan Wolvesbane

      Pacifist with occasional lapses