Make my own dye

  • fraser whyte
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
      Hi
      I have made my own dye using steel wool and vinigar which works fantastically as black. But I am looking for a recipe for brown dye, hopefully a traditionally made means. Any pointers?

      Thanks
      Fraser
    • Gregory G. Stapleton
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
        Right now is the perfect time to gather American (or Black) walnuts and use
        the hulls for an incredible brown dye. Be sure to wear rubber gloves when
        you gather them, else, you'll have brown stained fingers for days.

        Gregory Stapleton

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
          At 02:55 PM 10/6/2011, you wrote:
          >Hi
          >I have made my own dye using steel wool and vinigar which works
          >fantastically as black. But I am looking for a recipe for brown dye,
          >hopefully a traditionally made means. Any pointers?
          >
          >Thanks
          >Fraser

          Here's a great source:

          Rosetti, Gioanventura; The Plictho, 1548; Trans. By Sidney M.
          Edelstein & Hector C. Borghetty; 1969, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
          (LOC#: 68-18235)
          The last chapter is devoted to leather dyes, dressings, and tanning techniques.