Dog collars 600 to 1600

  • frederickalten
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2011
      Greeting all,

      Does anyone know of any pictures of dog collars between our SCA time periods. I have found a few, but they are metal hunting collars. Anyone know of any SCA papers on dog collars would help.

      It seems I keep pick subject of little resources.

      Thanks in advance,

      Frederick
    • Gary Wood
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2011
        Greetings and Good Evening

        I Googled "medieval collars for dogs" and found the following:

        http://larsdatter.com/dog-collar-leashes.htm

        http://compendium.legiodraconis.com/hounds.html

        http://www.london4seniors.com/html/dog_collar_museum.html

        The term "dog collar" normally applies to the gorget used for throat protection.

        YIS
        Captain Edward DuBois
        Archduchy of Bisqaia
        Adrian Empire

        Captain of the Privateer Sloop-of-War "Black Dagger"

        "Punhal na Noite"

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2011
          The castle at Leeds actually has a dog collar museum.

          At one point they were printing a book of postcards of the collars in
          their collection, don't know if they still do.

          Mike Sheldon

        • Fuersty@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2011
            Here's a link to the Leeds Museum and some pictures of Dog collars... very cool.

            http://www.leeds-castle.com/goto.php?ref=y&sess=+A5E5145191D51+F18435A52+9+B581D1058+E+357+9+25D1D1758&id=82

            Tim

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2011
              Because we Brits like to confuse people, that would be "Leeds Castle" in KENT and NOT actually a castle in Leeds :-)

              There is indeed a dog collar museum at Leeds Castle but I have been unable to find any pictures online :-(

              --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sheldon <msheldon@...> wrote:

              > The castle at Leeds actually has a dog collar museum.
              >
              > At one point they were printing a book of postcards of the collars in
              > their collection, don't know if they still do.

            • Carowyn Silveroak
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18, 2011
                Greetings,

                Look for facsimiles of Gaston Phoebus' book "Book of Hunting" (Livre de
                Chasse). It has many paintings of hunting dogs with collars, some clasp
                and collar details are visible.

                Penn State has a full facsimile copy of both books, available to peruse.
                We got pics the last time we visited.

                Even putting "Gaston Phoebus" into Google got me lots of hits of the
                pics. There have been a few books published over the years that have
                some of the paintings reproduced as well.

                -Carowyn

                http://www.omifacsimiles.com/brochures/phoeb.html
                57 Year Old Mom Looks 27!
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e24ad3664f628f357st02duc
              • Henry Plouse
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2011
                  How arcane an interest can it be when there is an ENTIRE MUSEUM (with its OWN CASTLE) devoted to the issue?

                  That, to me, is the most amazing thing about the SCA and Medievalists in general   If you want to know how Viking ear wax cleaners were different from early Germanic ear wax cleaners, you can bet that there is someone out there who has spent his/her entire life documenting, thoroughly (and with copious illustrations), the evolution of ear wax cleaners from the early Celts to the late Victorian upper crust.  And, heck, there's probably some little burg, down in the upper Rhineland, "Bad Ooperrhenischgarten" or whatever, with its (soi disant) "World Famous Ear Wax Cleaner Museum".

                  Good luck on the collars.

                  YOS,
                  ALRIC, Glyn Dwfn

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2011
                    Ah, yes, the Brits - the only people who add an extra syllable to "aluminum" ("aluminium") and yet feel oblige to pronounce "Cholmondelay" as "Chumley"...

                    YOS,
                    ALRIC, Glyn Dwfn

                    Because we Brits like to confuse people, that would be "Leeds Castle" in KENT and NOT actually a castle in Leeds :-)

                    There is indeed a dog collar museum at Leeds Castle but I have been unable to find any pictures online :-(

                    --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sheldon <msheldon@...> wrote:

                    > The castle at Leeds actually has a dog collar museum.
                    >
                    > At one point they were printing a book of postcards of the collars in
                    > their collection, don't know if they still do.

                  • chuwt01
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 8, 2011
                      The Van Dyke portrait of Stafford shows a quite detailed dog collar.....a few years outside the given period, but may be useful.