Re: [medieval-leather] Re: Image Transfer

  • Henry Plouse
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 10, 2011
      As noted in my prior post, I routinely use "iron-on transfers" to decorate leather for items I make - nothing like transferring a Howard Pyle or a Wyatt "Pirate" illustration onto a piece of leather that is then incorporated into a pouch or bag for a wannabe "Modern-Day Pyrate".  I've NOT tried it using a home computer printer and I don't know if the inks they use or the paper that's available are suitable, but I have done it using transfers made for me by "Kinkos" or a similar copying shop, on the assumption that they have the goods and the gear to do it right ("Custom T-Shirt Shops" will also do this for you and, of course, they have all the needful equipment and supplies).  A non-reversed transfer costs about $3.50 and a reversed one maybe $5.00.

      I've found that the technique works on either chrome or veg tanned leather and is surprisingly durable, especially on the former.

      After much experimentation, I can also tell you that you need to use a very light colored leather (white to light cream/tan - not all veg-tanned is light enough for it) and it is critical that the leather have as smooth and "closed grain" a surface as possible.  Even a lightly "pebbled" texture will ruin the transfer.  Otherwise, it's worked surprisingly well for me.  Using the transfer is far preferable to painting, especially when the leather is going to be flexed or bent or otherwise subjected to stresses which would cause paint to flake off.

      YOS,
      ALRIC

      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2011
        Hello all,

        A late medieval shoe (1300-1350) with a bird design was shown on an exhibition in the Netherlands last year.
        A picture that I made can be seen here:

        http://m-silkwork.blogspot.com/2010/09/exhibition-dedicated-to-memory-of-olaf.html

        The description for this shoe said that to create the bird, the surface of the leather around the bird was scraped away.
        I tried to recreate this design by just using a sharp knife, but this is pretty difficult except for large surfaces.
        Especially the long straight thin lines between the open punchwork is difficult, I did not even attempt to do that.
        Does somebody know if there are special tools to do this? How would one scrape away a part of the surface of the leather
        in a long thin straight line? use a lancet or something?

        Regards,
        Nijso

      • tasha_medvedeva
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2011