Re: hi!

  • Casey Weed
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
      Nijso,

      Welcome to the list!

      I love and am actively involved in everything you mention with the exception
      of tanning. From a reenactment standpoint, I, the leather worker, prefer to
      do what my medieval counterpart would have done- go to the tanner and buy my
      leather. It's not just the purist in me; I'm not too proud to admit that
      the "ick" factor involved in tanning keeps me from it. Call me a sissy- I
      can live with it and my wife doesn't complain about dead animal hide stew in
      the yard.

      I'm about to be attending a major gathering of medieval enthusiasts in
      Mississippi where there will be a class on making boxes and containers and
      the methods of corner construction and seaming. I'll see if I can get the
      class materials posted here.

      Yours,

      Casey in Texas

    • warbow67
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cardwell <jeffcardwell@...> wrote:

        > Indeed...welcome.� My focus is typically towards black jacks, bottells
        > (costrels), and bombards of the medieval period.

        Did somebody say "bottells"? I make bottels too: http://grayefoxleatherworks.webs.com

        Dave
        Graye Fox Leatherworks
      • Copernicus Skygazer
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
          Hmm, can you give me the full title's for "Goubitz' books"...I may need to
          add to my medieval leather library :)
          YIS
          Phillipos the Skeptic (my favorite book is still Gunter Gall's book 'Leder
          in Europaischen Kunsthandwerk' ) (forgive spelling, doing it from memory)

          On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, nijso wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I joined this group last week, and just wanted to say hello. My main interests are late medieval (second half 14th century) leather working, specifically making scabbards, belts, purses, shoes and leather cases, and sometimes the stuff that goes with it. I like to be as historically accurate as possible (within reasonable bounds - are there actually people here that do pit tanning in their backyard?) and prefer to make exact replicas of medieval finds.
          > I'm from the Netherlands, so Goubitz' books are my companions.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nijso

        • nijso beishuizen
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
            >Hmm, can you give me the full title's for "Goubitz' books"...I may need to

            >add to my medieval leather library :)

            >YIS

            >Phillipos the Skeptic (my favorite book is still Gunter Gall's book 'Leder

            >in Europaischen Kunsthandwerk' ) (forgive spelling, doing it from memory)
            He has published two books, unfortunately the last one was published posthumously, so his third book might never appear.The titles are self-explanatory I guess:
            Stepping Through Time: Archaeological Footwear from Prehistoric Times Until 1800
            by Olaf Goubitz, Carol Van Driel-Murray and Willy Groenman-Van Waateringe
            Purses
            in Pieces: Archaeological Finds of Late Medieval and 16th-Century
            Leather Purses, Pouches, Bags and Cases in the Netherlands
            by Olaf Goubitz

            They also have published articles on leather finds (shoes, purses, sword and knife scabbards) in Dutch books and journals.

            Hmm... have to check this book of Gunter Gall you're talking about. What kind of 'kunsthandwerk'? Which periods does the book cover?
            Regards,Nijso

          • Copernicus Skygazer
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
              Ah didn't recognize the name, I have at least 2 of those three books.
              Gunter Gall's book is in german, and has photos that cover from about 700
              to 1900. Some amazing stuff,
              YIS
              Phillipos the Skeptic