Re: [medieval-leather] hi!

  • Jeff Cardwell
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
      Indeed...welcome.  My focus is typically towards black jacks, bottells
      (costrels), and bombards of the medieval period.

      Feel free to look me up on facebook - Geoffrey de Cardeville's Leather Art -
      Blackjacks, Bottells & Bombards

      Once again...welcome.
      Jeff Cardwell
      aka Geoffrey de Cardeville

      ________________________________
      From: James Barker <flonzy@...>
      Date: Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:55 AM
      To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com

      Welcome Nijso

      You and I have the same interests in item reconstruction; cases are the only
      item I have not really done much of yet, I made one without a wooden form
      and it did not turn out the way I wanted so I have not gotten around to
      trying again yet.

      James
      http://www.historiclife.com/

      > To: medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com
      > From: bigfootedrockmidget@...
      > Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 12:34:51 +0000
      > Subject: [medieval-leather] hi!

      > Hi,
      >
      > I joined this group last week, and just wanted to say hello. My main
      interests are late medieval (second half 14th century) leather working,
      specifically making scabbards, belts, purses, shoes and leather cases, and
      sometimes the stuff that goes with it. I like to be as historically accurate
      as possible (within reasonable bounds - are there actually people here that
      do pit tanning in their backyard?) and prefer to make exact replicas of
      medieval finds.
      > I'm from the Netherlands, so Goubitz' books are my companions.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Nijso

    • Casey Weed
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
        Nijso,

        Welcome to the list!

        I love and am actively involved in everything you mention with the exception
        of tanning. From a reenactment standpoint, I, the leather worker, prefer to
        do what my medieval counterpart would have done- go to the tanner and buy my
        leather. It's not just the purist in me; I'm not too proud to admit that
        the "ick" factor involved in tanning keeps me from it. Call me a sissy- I
        can live with it and my wife doesn't complain about dead animal hide stew in
        the yard.

        I'm about to be attending a major gathering of medieval enthusiasts in
        Mississippi where there will be a class on making boxes and containers and
        the methods of corner construction and seaming. I'll see if I can get the
        class materials posted here.

        Yours,

        Casey in Texas

      • warbow67
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
          --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cardwell <jeffcardwell@...> wrote:

          > Indeed...welcome.� My focus is typically towards black jacks, bottells
          > (costrels), and bombards of the medieval period.

          Did somebody say "bottells"? I make bottels too: http://grayefoxleatherworks.webs.com

          Dave
          Graye Fox Leatherworks
        • Copernicus Skygazer
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
            Hmm, can you give me the full title's for "Goubitz' books"...I may need to
            add to my medieval leather library :)
            YIS
            Phillipos the Skeptic (my favorite book is still Gunter Gall's book 'Leder
            in Europaischen Kunsthandwerk' ) (forgive spelling, doing it from memory)

            On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, nijso wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I joined this group last week, and just wanted to say hello. My main interests are late medieval (second half 14th century) leather working, specifically making scabbards, belts, purses, shoes and leather cases, and sometimes the stuff that goes with it. I like to be as historically accurate as possible (within reasonable bounds - are there actually people here that do pit tanning in their backyard?) and prefer to make exact replicas of medieval finds.
            > I'm from the Netherlands, so Goubitz' books are my companions.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Nijso

          • nijso beishuizen
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
              >Hmm, can you give me the full title's for "Goubitz' books"...I may need to

              >add to my medieval leather library :)

              >YIS

              >Phillipos the Skeptic (my favorite book is still Gunter Gall's book 'Leder

              >in Europaischen Kunsthandwerk' ) (forgive spelling, doing it from memory)
              He has published two books, unfortunately the last one was published posthumously, so his third book might never appear.The titles are self-explanatory I guess:
              Stepping Through Time: Archaeological Footwear from Prehistoric Times Until 1800
              by Olaf Goubitz, Carol Van Driel-Murray and Willy Groenman-Van Waateringe
              Purses
              in Pieces: Archaeological Finds of Late Medieval and 16th-Century
              Leather Purses, Pouches, Bags and Cases in the Netherlands
              by Olaf Goubitz

              They also have published articles on leather finds (shoes, purses, sword and knife scabbards) in Dutch books and journals.

              Hmm... have to check this book of Gunter Gall you're talking about. What kind of 'kunsthandwerk'? Which periods does the book cover?
              Regards,Nijso

            • Copernicus Skygazer
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2011
                Ah didn't recognize the name, I have at least 2 of those three books.
                Gunter Gall's book is in german, and has photos that cover from about 700
                to 1900. Some amazing stuff,
                YIS
                Phillipos the Skeptic