Re: tanning

  • wulfricalemaker
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
      In addition to Reed, which Ron suggested, you might also look for Leather
      Preparation and Tanning by Traditional Methods, by Lotta Rahme, published by The
      Caber Press. ISBN 1-887719-00-8.

      Roughly, oil/brain tanning along with smoke tanning came first, sometime in
      prehistory. Alum tawing was known in 3rd millenium BC in the mideast, and veg
      tanned leather has been discovered in Egypt dated 5000 yrs ago.

      Rahme's book also has instructions for making all these types of leather.

      Robert
    • JonH
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20 12:27 PM
        Is anyone out there well versed on DIY tanning?
        Im trying to learn the differences between mundaine and period.
        Im assuming it was mostly Veggie and Alum, but Brain had been known.
        The Veggie was Oak bark?
        Thanks
        Jon
      • Jeremie Collins
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20 12:34 PM
          And this is why shows like the Jersey shore are bad, all I could think of
          was medieval sun tanning.

          Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.
          On Mar 20, 2011 2:28 PM, "JonH" <jon.horde@...> wrote:
          > Is anyone out there well versed on DIY tanning?
          > Im trying to learn the differences between mundaine and period.
          > Im assuming it was mostly Veggie and Alum, but Brain had been known.
          > The Veggie was Oak bark?
          > Thanks
          > Jon

        • Gregory G. Stapleton
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            Check the following sources to get a pretty definitive answer as to how
            period leather tanning was accomplished (if you don't have local access to
            these tomes, they are available through interlibrary loan):

            1. "Leather in Life, Art, and Industry," by John W. Waterer

            2. "Leather and Fur," edited by Esther Cameron (in particular,
            Chapter 1 by Roy Thompson, entitled, Leather Working Processes)

            And last, but certainly not least,

            3. "English Medieval Industries," edited by John Blair and Nigel
            Ramsay ( in particular, chapter 12 by John Cherry, entitled, Leather)

            Gregory G. Stapleton / Gawain Kilgore

          • JonH
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
              --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory G. Stapleton" <gregsta@...> wrote:

              > Check the following sources to get a pretty definitive answer as to how
              > period leather tanning was accomplished (if you don't have local access to
              > these tomes, they are available through interlibrary loan):
              >

              > 1. "Leather in Life, Art, and Industry," by John W. Waterer
              >

              > 2. "Leather and Fur," edited by Esther Cameron (in particular,
              > Chapter 1 by Roy Thompson, entitled, Leather Working Processes)
              >

              > And last, but certainly not least,
              >

              > 3. "English Medieval Industries," edited by John Blair and Nigel
              > Ramsay ( in particular, chapter 12 by John Cherry, entitled, Leather)
              >

              > Gregory G. Stapleton / Gawain Kilgore

              Thank you, Im off in search of books!