tanning

  • JonH
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2011
      Does anyone know of a time line of which tanning techniques were used when and where?
      Thanks
      Jon
    • 4 lil monkeys
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2011
        --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "JonH" <jon.horde@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a time line of which tanning techniques were used when and where?
        > Thanks
        > Jon

        Jon
        Not sure what kind of time line you are looking for but it is my understanding that tanning has been around as long as man. (But Im no expert just started this hobby myself and read that somewhere)Techninues vary according to which period you are looking at. From my research so far medieval techniques include vegetable and alum tawning.
        -Aldreda-
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2011
          At 01:07 PM 2/4/2011, you wrote:
          >Does anyone know of a time line of which tanning techniques were
          >used when and where?
          >Thanks
          >Jon

          If you can lay hands on it, _Ancient Skins, Parchments, and Leathers_
          by R. Reed (ISBN 0-12-903550-5) is one of the best overviews of the
          timeline of historical skin and leather preparation techniques.

          It was pretty popular and a lot of libraries have it in their collections.

        • wulfricalemaker
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2011
            In addition to Reed, which Ron suggested, you might also look for Leather
            Preparation and Tanning by Traditional Methods, by Lotta Rahme, published by The
            Caber Press. ISBN 1-887719-00-8.

            Roughly, oil/brain tanning along with smoke tanning came first, sometime in
            prehistory. Alum tawing was known in 3rd millenium BC in the mideast, and veg
            tanned leather has been discovered in Egypt dated 5000 yrs ago.

            Rahme's book also has instructions for making all these types of leather.

            Robert
          • JonH
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 20, 2011
              Is anyone out there well versed on DIY tanning?
              Im trying to learn the differences between mundaine and period.
              Im assuming it was mostly Veggie and Alum, but Brain had been known.
              The Veggie was Oak bark?
              Thanks
              Jon
            • Jeremie Collins
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 20, 2011
                And this is why shows like the Jersey shore are bad, all I could think of
                was medieval sun tanning.

                Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.
                On Mar 20, 2011 2:28 PM, "JonH" <jon.horde@...> wrote:
                > Is anyone out there well versed on DIY tanning?
                > Im trying to learn the differences between mundaine and period.
                > Im assuming it was mostly Veggie and Alum, but Brain had been known.
                > The Veggie was Oak bark?
                > Thanks
                > Jon

              • Gregory G. Stapleton
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1 9:20 AM
                  Check the following sources to get a pretty definitive answer as to how
                  period leather tanning was accomplished (if you don't have local access to
                  these tomes, they are available through interlibrary loan):

                  1. "Leather in Life, Art, and Industry," by John W. Waterer

                  2. "Leather and Fur," edited by Esther Cameron (in particular,
                  Chapter 1 by Roy Thompson, entitled, Leather Working Processes)

                  And last, but certainly not least,

                  3. "English Medieval Industries," edited by John Blair and Nigel
                  Ramsay ( in particular, chapter 12 by John Cherry, entitled, Leather)

                  Gregory G. Stapleton / Gawain Kilgore

                • JonH
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 2:41 AM
                    --- In medieval-leather@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory G. Stapleton" <gregsta@...> wrote:

                    > Check the following sources to get a pretty definitive answer as to how
                    > period leather tanning was accomplished (if you don't have local access to
                    > these tomes, they are available through interlibrary loan):
                    >

                    > 1. "Leather in Life, Art, and Industry," by John W. Waterer
                    >

                    > 2. "Leather and Fur," edited by Esther Cameron (in particular,
                    > Chapter 1 by Roy Thompson, entitled, Leather Working Processes)
                    >

                    > And last, but certainly not least,
                    >

                    > 3. "English Medieval Industries," edited by John Blair and Nigel
                    > Ramsay ( in particular, chapter 12 by John Cherry, entitled, Leather)
                    >

                    > Gregory G. Stapleton / Gawain Kilgore

                    Thank you, Im off in search of books!